Hitzer 82 Getting to Hot ???

tractorboy13

Post by tractorboy13 » Sat. Nov. 27, 2010 10:48 pm

I have a Hitzer 82ul and every time I restock it with fresh coal the temp on the stove pipe goes up to 600+ then goes back down after the fresh coal is lit. Does anyone thing this is a problem. Thanks for the help.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 1:07 am

What kind of Coal are you putting in it? Bituminous or Anthracite? It sounds like Bituminous because such high stack temps leads me to believe that you are burning off a lot of volatile gas when you first load up the stove. If not that, then do you have a pipe damper? Tell us a little more about your set up and how you are operating the stove, then we will have a much better idea of how to advise you.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 1:28 am

Usually when you restock and add fresh coal those temperatures should drop a bit. Then when the new coal starts to catch the temps should steadily rise and get you back to the temp you were at before you added the fresh coal. That temperature seems quite high.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 7:45 am

It is from the automatic draft control opening wide. You fill the stove with coal, the temperature drops, the draft control opens, the coal gets roaring hot, and finally things settle down. Try reloading the stove like this. Add coal to all but the right front corner of the firebox, leave an area of burning coal about 8" square. Let the stove burn for 10-15 minutes with the direct damper open. Once the rest of the coal is burning, go ahead and fill that corner and close the direct damper.

tractorboy13

Post by tractorboy13 » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the info I am burning bit coal and I do not have a damper in the pipe only the one on the stove itself. I notice that when I load the stove I have been covering all the old burning coal. I am going to try your idea of letting some on covered.

RLB112

Post by RLB112 » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 10:46 am

i had the same issue until I put a manual damper in.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Okay two things. Put in a standard pipe damper about 2 feet up from the stove collar. Next you need to operate the stove with the secondary damper as the main source of air for the stove. The primaries should be used but they should stay open only a crack and the secondary damper open until all of the bright yellow flames stop and you have just a glowing red fuel bed. At this point almost close the secondary damper and see what happens. Hopefully your stove has a secondary air damper.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”