Hitzer Fan Rattling - Any Suggestins?

Emily

Post by Emily » Sat. Nov. 13, 2010 9:59 am

We have a Hitzer 503 coal stove that is on its second fan after using the stove about 20 days total. The replacement fan is no better than the original. Called Hitzer and they said to either tap it with something or oil it. We did both but the fan is still making so much rattling noise. The stove is in our living room and the noise is unbearable. It's driving us crazy. The fan that is rattling is on the left side. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Did we get a lemon or are all Hitzer's bad like this?

Thank you so much.

Emily.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 13, 2010 1:30 pm

I had that problem once with my 50-93 & found that some small chunks of coal had gotten in the fan area--I undid the 3 screws on both ends of the fan assembly,cleaned them out & cut some filter material to cover the ends & put the cover rings back on--no problems since--check both fans--I think you have 2???---hopefully this is a solution :)

duck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 95

Post by duck » Sat. Nov. 13, 2010 9:53 pm

We have a Hitzer EZ flow and it has a blower not a fan, Hitzer uses Dayton blowers from Graingers. At my workplace we use hundreds of Dayton blowers some the same model as the one in our stove, we have had great success with these, could be something to do with the mounting configuration, does it make noise not mounted to the stove?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Nov. 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Most fan noises are from the mounting of the fan being loose. Make sure the blower housing is firmly attached. If you touch the fan housing, mounts or the fan motor, and the noise goes away, this is a clue that the mounting is not stable enough.

Also, what Fred said about a piece or two of coal being pulled into the fan and rattling around is a common problem..

No, HItzers are not prone to this problem, any more than any other stove.. Just take your time and using one 'fix' at a time, eliminate the possible sources for rattles and noises..

Greg L

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Not familiar w/ your stove or fan but, might you be able to flip or rotate the position that it is mounted in?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”