My Chubby

JBorden

Post by JBorden » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Well the best thing I've ever done was to get this Chubby coal stove! I have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first but it has been very easy to get the hang of. My stove keeps my house between 72°-75° running at about 350°- 400°. I get 12hr. burns no problem and have actually gone as long as 26hrs with out a shake. I must say I would recommend this stove to any one. Very little work for the enjoyment of being nice and toasty :). Not to mention the money I will save this winter, it cost me $1800.00 for the stove, installation, and 2 tons of nut coal. Thats about what I would have paid for oil this winter and been freezing trying to conserve oil. It did help that my friend and I did all the work so there were no labor cost :D . Even if I had to pay for labor it would have been well worth it!!!

Jim

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 9:11 pm

I hear you!! I too picked up a Chubby over the summer. I was burning wood for the past two years in my house (been burning wood since I was 9) but as a child growing up one doesn't realize the time, money and effort that goes into heating a home with wood. It takes owning your own home to see the wasted time, money and effort for short burn times and a really hot fire.

I watched Larry's video and saw he was getting close to 18 hours out of his Chubby. That right there sold me. My Chubby keeps my house between 70* - 75* on cold days running anywhere between 350* - 480* with a stack temp of 140* - 190*. Through October I was averaging 14 - 18 hours. The past week I've been running her a bit hotter (500* - 550* with an 180* - 200* stack temp) and am still averaging close to 10 - 12 hours. Though, I tend to shake down quite a bit more than you (two times a day) but my house and setup is quite different than yours.

I am ever so glad I switched to coal and don't think I'll ever go back to wood. In fact if things work out for me, next winter I'll have a dual fuel furnace in the basement, using the oil side only as a backup.

Coal is definitely king.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Now you guys got me thinkin' of buying one to install a coil in for summertime DHW! :o 8-)

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 9:19 pm

It appears that the Coal Chubby secret it getting out! That is great news about your Chubby! Thanks for sharing your wonderful coal burning experience with your new Chubby Coal Stove. :up: :clap:

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Sun. Nov. 14, 2010 8:44 am

Could one of you guys with the new style load door for the Chubby post a good picture of the inside of the door and describe what the glass is made of?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. Nov. 14, 2010 9:13 am

Here are some pictures of my Chubby when I just got it home from the beautiful restoration job done by Larry Trainer, the designer and manufacture of the Coal Stove Chubby. Just for more realism, I placed a candle inside. The glass isn't really glass, it is what they call Mica. It is really a thinly cut piece of crystal. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sq ... Tg&cad=rja
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
DSCF2163.JPG
.JPG | 99.6KB | DSCF2163.JPG
DSCF2164.JPG
.JPG | 110.1KB | DSCF2164.JPG
DSCF2175.JPG
.JPG | 162.7KB | DSCF2175.JPG

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Sun. Nov. 14, 2010 11:14 am

Ok, thanks Doug, That's what the original glass is made of as well. I was just wondering because the window is quite a bit larger than the original window it might be made of something else.

Love my Chubby too.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”