Hello for 2010-2011

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 7:11 pm

It seems to be getting that time again where we huddle around the laptop near the coal burner, just wanted to see if we could get a 2010 role calll going. Yeah I'm the guy with that butt end of weiner dog picture, now we got another one, damn, she'll outlive me !

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm checking this place out a lot again now, ready to try the new stack setup very soon. Trying to stay away from the politics section since I hate liberals so much lol. Busy fixing up an old farmhouse that belongs to a local church! The place is very interesting. It's been neglected for decades so I'm trying to attend to all the neglect. I was kicking up some dirt today to set my ladder and found some anthracite coal! I was wondering if the place was ever heated with coal!

Attachments

Picture 078.jpg
.JPG | 297.1KB | Picture 078.jpg

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 11:05 pm

:lol: Yeah I should stay out of there for the same reason ... :D

It was tough to find a minute to come on the forum all summer. Lots of things goin' on at once, from fishing, to motorcycle rides, off roading, & shooting. Winter kills everything in my line of work, so more time to post. Besides, who wants to go outside in the winter anyway when you got a black rock burner blazin' away in the basement!

Aw crap! I'm in Connecticut! :doh: :funny:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 5:42 am

It's ok,Little Buckaroos....! 'Ol Hambden Bob's 'gonna show the way to inner peace,world peace,gettin' a piece -of pizza and the ever famous"what's this last piece?" It's called "Enjoy The Board"! So post away now that the Summer Stuff has gone away,we'll get through the Winter with plenty of yucks right here !

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 6:37 am

Hambden Bob wrote:It's ok,Little Buckaroos....! 'Ol Hambden Bob's 'gonna show the way to inner peace,world peace,gettin' a piece -of pizza and the ever famous"what's this last piece?" It's called "Enjoy The Board"! So post away now that the Summer Stuff has gone away,we'll get through the Winter with plenty of yucks right here !
:clap: :shots: toothy

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Well its 77º in here right now and I'm in a tee shirt and shorts. Sitting in front of my computer I'm nice and comfortable. I really enjoy this time of year. This is one reason I don't mind the cold. I don't care for the snow anymore. After a spinal fusion on August 19 the last thing I want to do is slip and fall.

Hey Dann757.... In the picture you left the cellar window open. :whistle:

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 7:01 pm

SMITTY wrote::lol: Yeah I should stay out of there for the same reason ... :D

It was tough to find a minute to come on the forum all summer. Lots of things goin' on at once, from fishing, to motorcycle rides, off roading, & shooting. Winter kills everything in my line of work, so more time to post. Besides, who wants to go outside in the winter anyway when you got a black rock burner blazin' away in the basement!

Aw crap! I'm in Connecticut! :doh: :funny:
Thats ok its not any cheaper to live here either. Their both blue.

Discobubba

Post by Discobubba » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Well I'm sort of the new guy around here. Been lurkin for a while here and there and this will hopefully be the first year I actually burn coal. I'll find out once I get the, new to me, old stove I recently got hooked up.

Hey EasyDave, assume ya got a good Snowblower too. That'll be the next thing I try to pick up off CraigsList in order to save my back as well.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 9:54 pm

found some anthracite coal! I was wondering if the place was ever heated with coal!
You can be certain it was! There's Anthracite pieces and ash all over the place here.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Nov. 03, 2010 10:49 am

EasyRay wrote: Hey Dann757.... In the picture you left the cellar window open. :whistle:
Good eye! I pried that window open to get an extension cord up to the peak for a sander. I'm pretty sure it's original, wavy imperfect glass with small panes. I bet it hadn't been opened in many years. Dead fly mummies all over the indside of it. I think the cellar door is original too, about six feet high by three feet! It took me quite a while just to get it to open and close.
There's a modern Weil-McClain gas boiler in there now, serving some very nice old radiators.

The church waited all summer to make a decision about fixing the place up,( committees, politics, arguments, egos, personalities); now good ole Dan is the one scrambling to get everything done. The Ben Moore paint formula aint what it used to be, the latex seems to gel up below 55 degrees.

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Wed. Nov. 03, 2010 11:17 am

The building looks solid. I'm sure when you finish with it, everything will be in great condition.

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Wed. Nov. 03, 2010 11:36 am

Discobubba wrote:Well I'm sort of the new guy around here. Been lurkin for a while here and there and this will hopefully be the first year I actually burn coal. I'll find out once I get the, new to me, old stove I recently got hooked up.

Hey EasyDave, assume ya got a good Snowblower too. That'll be the next thing I try to pick up off CraigsList in order to save my back as well.
Started mine up on 10/21. It was cold for a few days and then it went up into the 70's for about 4 or 5 days but I hate restarting, so I kept it running as low as I could.
You better get moving and hook up that stove so you can enjoy the benefits of coal. When I first started burning with coal it was $1.50 for a fifty pound bag. I can only use bagged coal but its still the best deal going at $5.30 a bag. (Edit) Thats now a forty pound bag.
I plan on using about 2½ tons until April.

Welcome to the forum.

Discobubba

Post by Discobubba » Wed. Nov. 03, 2010 11:54 pm

EasyRay wrote: Started mine up on 10/21. It was cold for a few days and then it went up into the 70's for about 4 or 5 days but I hate restarting, so I kept it running as low as I could.
You better get moving and hook up that stove so you can enjoy the benefits of coal. When I first started burning with coal it was $1.50 for a fifty pound bag. I can only use bagged coal but its still the best deal going at $5.30 a bag. (Edit) Thats now a forty pound bag.
I plan on using about 2½ tons until April.

Welcome to the forum.
Oops, sorry man. Just realized I called ya Dave there, dunno how I slipped there. Thanks for the Welcome Ray. Yeah, we certainly had some odd weather there that week. Not that I was complaining about it, prefer it being warmer out. I think your safe from that happening again now. Its already getting bitterly cold out there.

Got quite a bit of work ahead to get things going. Besides just cleaning the stove, getting a new grate for one side, checking the gaskets, etc. the biggest Hurdle I'm already running into it trying to figure out whether my town might allow me to hook it up to the same mason chimney the current oil-burning boiler and water heater use (on the other side in a separate thimble of course). Main thing is to get the insurance to approve it.

Have to make some phone calls for prices but I know the closest coal dealer, CTPellet, which had the best price last I checked put more than just 1 ton per pallet. The price per bag was pretty close to yours. Would like to buy individual bags of Nut & Stove first though to see which runs better in the stove I got. I know it'll be more pricey that way at first but this is the first time I'm using a solid-fuel stove in general.

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 11:46 am

If the stove is going to be connected to its own flu there is no problem.
That price of $5.30 a bag is what it breaks down to for buying a whole pallet. I don't know how much it is if you just buy a few bags, but I would guess it is considerably more per bag.
I get my coal at Burn Time Enterprises on 500 Broad Street in Bristol. They only take checks or cash....No credit cards. I think they only carry Rice,Pea,or Nut coal.I don't think they carry Stove coal but you can call and check. They only carry bagged coal. No bulk.
You can call and check the price at 860 589-3558 or 860 410-0747

Discobubba

Post by Discobubba » Fri. Nov. 05, 2010 12:29 am

Ah, I shoulda been more specific with my terminology. Unfortunately it's just the one flue. To put in a Power Vent for the Oil Burners in order to use the chimney for the stove might be too cost prohibitive unless its fairly easy to do ourselves or get a friend to help. Either way the first thing I need to do is find a good Chimney Sweep in the Torrington area.

I saw a truck for B.T. Enterprises last week and checked out their website. Looks like the prices are pretty close to CT Pellet but I'm gonna guess delivery is a bit more. I think last year I called a guy in the New Britain area who had loose coal but after delivery cost it wouldn't have been much less than the bagged pallets.

Didn't mean to get so off topic but appreciate the help.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”