What Size Coal Takes More Air?

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Which coal will use more air to maintain the same temp?Nut or stove?

I'm gunna try some stove coal and I want to estimate where to set my air.I've always burned nut coal before.

Both coals are UAE

DON
Last edited by BIG BEAM on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Hand Fired Coal Stoves forum

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Stove is huge, like a baseball. The larger the size the less air you need. Basically the smaller coal acts like a damper and will burn more slowly because it has less air flowing through it because there is less space for it to flow freely. If you are in a very windy environment straight pea is probably your best bet. It's easier to control... a lot of my customers would get pea and nut mixed which is referred to as range. Seemed to be the ideal situation for most people.

I even had a few customers that would get 3 or 4 tons of nut and one ton of rice. They would bank the stove at night with a layer of rice over the top. Another thing you can do is throw some ashes over it.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 11:19 pm

I think it depends upon your stove. My stove burns great with stove coal. I've burned nut and pea in it also but stove coal works the best. I don't remember much of a difference between the nut and the stove coal as far as my air settings once the fire was going well. When I open up the air with the stove coal it takes off better. I found my stove runs better all around with stove coal. When I want to slow it down, I just turn the air down. When I want it hot, I just turn the air up. With the nut coal, I couldn't get it as hot as I wanted, and it wasn't as easy to run it low, although on that end it was pretty close to the stove coal. My stove is really responsive with stove coal, but like I said, I think it's the stove, not the coal... You'll just have to see how your stove works with the different size coal.

dj

HanSoSlow

Post by HanSoSlow » Mon. Oct. 25, 2010 9:31 am

dlj wrote:I think it depends upon your stove. My stove burns great with stove coal. I've burned nut and pea in it also but stove coal works the best. I don't remember much of a difference between the nut and the stove coal as far as my air settings once the fire was going well. When I open up the air with the stove coal it takes off better. I found my stove runs better all around with stove coal. When I want to slow it down, I just turn the air down. When I want it hot, I just turn the air up. With the nut coal, I couldn't get it as hot as I wanted, and it wasn't as easy to run it low, although on that end it was pretty close to the stove coal. My stove is really responsive with stove coal, but like I said, I think it's the stove, not the coal... You'll just have to see how your stove works with the different size coal.

dj
I agree. I was told try all, but would likely get nut at the end. Well the stove coal seemed to respond better for me and that is what I ended up with - had 2 tons delivered on Saturday. The stove coal was hotter and actually seemed to last just as long or longer than the nut and could recover faster. I do think I turned the air down a bit - not much though. I'm still very very new to coal though.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Got some Sherman white ash coal over the weekend and like typical white ash coal not as much heat as UAE.For the first load I mixed 30% UAE and the rest Sherman.It was OK but when I tried all Sherman (stove size) It didn't make as much heat as UAE(nut size).I think stove size coal will work great in my furnace but UAE doesn't sell stove coal,never did.I didn't know that.I'd like to get some good red ash stove coal but alas I live 200 mi. from the coal breakers and can't ask my coal guy to pick up 500 lbs.

The nice thing about white ash coal is no clinkers,even if I leave the ash door open.

I sure do miss the deep mined coal from Superior.That stuff was like nitro-methanol in my furnace.

DON

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 1:48 am

BIG BEAM wrote:Got some Sherman white ash coal over the weekend and like typical white ash coal not as much heat as UAE.For the first load I mixed 30% UAE and the rest Sherman.It was OK but when I tried all Sherman (stove size) It didn't make as much heat as UAE(nut size).I think stove size coal will work great in my furnace but UAE doesn't sell stove coal,never did.I didn't know that.I'd like to get some good red ash stove coal but alas I live 200 mi. from the coal breakers and can't ask my coal guy to pick up 500 lbs.

The nice thing about white ash coal is no clinkers,even if I leave the ash door open.

I sure do miss the deep mined coal from Superior.That stuff was like nitro-methanol in my furnace.

DON
Schuylkill coal Processing will have good red ash coal . Their located off of Route 901 exit 116 I-81 6 miles from UAE and
about the same from Sherman .
Superior still has red ash coal
Summit Anthracite has both white and red ash coal
Calvin V. lenig will have Red ash coal

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 2:01 am

BIG BEAM wrote:Which coal will use more air to maintain the same temp?Nut or stove?

I'm gunna try some stove coal and I want to estimate where to set my air.I've always burned nut coal before.

Both coals are UAE

DON
Will also depend on what vein of coal it is some veins of coal needs more air then others to burn completely.
some coal is harder then others so more air is needed also you need to know the BTU value is of the coal .
More heat with less air or More air to get more heat out of it .

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Nov. 05, 2010 7:02 pm

So what coal is the J.C. pick this year?

I got some Sherman stove and is about the same as it was last year.Not as much heat as red ash coal.

Anything better than UAE this year?
DON

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”