New to This!!! HELP!

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 9:45 am

Not too sure about that size Harman, but was the coal load already mostly burned up (110*F room :shock: ) before it was turned back to 1/4?

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 9:48 am

nate wrote: How far open do you guys run the air inlet? I'm sure it varies on draft but just to get a ballpark. Also I do not have a stove thermometer, if I get one what is the "magic" number I need to shoot for?
As mentioned before, each is different, but it is good to know what works for others
to use in your "mental database"..

Generally I run mine between 1 and 1-1/2 turns, with an MPD at around 45-60 degrees,
and a pull of about .05

Doesn't usually vary from that once the weather is cold for good.
As for the temp, I have a magnetic in the center of the left side about 7-8 inches from the top.
450-600 depending on temp obviously. And another on the stack.
I also use an infrared gun to check other spots and the stack, just because I have one
and they are fun to play with...
they can also drive your cat nuts by making him chase the laser dot...
which is even more fun.

nate

Post by nate » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 11:09 am

When I fell asleep the air inlet was set to half way open (4 turns). So I will try to start next time about 2 turns out.

This morning the coal load was all just about burned, I have an ashy bed of about 2 inches of coal left. I may have been able to save it with a shakedown and reload when I reset the air (that and not falling asleep while waiting for it to react to my air adjustment!). :lol:

I know I have alot to learn, but I thank you all for your help (my wife thanks you also). The Hyfire II was very easy with the coal trol, set it and forget it. This Harman though gives me a challenge that I enjoy! I am a mechanic and simply love to fiddle with things and find out what makes them tick.

Unfortunately (or thank god) its going to be back up in the 70's this coming week so I guess my fiddling will have to wait. Till then, thanks again everyone!

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 11:47 am

4 turns way too much...
1.5 turns would be good to start with...
.5 turns made a huge difference when I ran the Mark II...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 11:52 am

Even with days at 70 & nights alot cooler you can get that stove to idle way down for day time use ;) --& goose it up for night time comfort--now--if you like to tinker--that would be your task for the upcoming days---listen to CapeCoaler--minimum adjustment--maximum affect :)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Oct. 22, 2010 1:23 pm

To help keep track of where your air setting is, do what I did here. Just open the ash door, close the intake all the way, then mark the spoke closest to 12 O'Clock white. Since I've done that I never lose track of where it's set at, or how far I went.

I had mine at 2 turns out this week because it's not real cold yet, & draft was pulling a bit weak at .03". 2 turns is ALOT ... 4 turns is off the charts! That would explain your short burn times. If I want a real low fire in the middle of winter, I'll choke it down to 3/4 turn, but never less than that. Even with a good draft 3/4 turn is close to losing the fire. I run mine at 1.5 turns out most of the time with lower center of the sides at 500°.

Attachments

003.JPG

1-5/8ths turns out

.JPG | 100.8KB | 003.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”