Heat Exchanger/Magic Heater

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Tue. Oct. 05, 2010 3:13 pm

My one friend has a wood stove, trust me I tried talking him into coal, but with no luck.

He just bought a magic heat for his unit and the only way it will fit would to put it right above his stove, although the directions state at least 12 inches.

I know you burn wood typically hotter than coal, but anyone suggest to do place the magic heat directly above the stove unit.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Oct. 05, 2010 4:16 pm

I think the only thing with placing the magic heat so close to the stove will be to shorten it's life. If the tubes stay hot hot hot all the time I think they'll eventually burn through. Maybe also the electric fan will be hotter than it should be. If it fails you'll know why!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 06, 2010 12:59 pm

dtzackus wrote:My one friend has a wood stove, trust me I tried talking him into coal, but with no luck.

He just bought a magic heat for his unit and the only way it will fit would to put it right above his stove, although the directions state at least 12 inches.

I know you burn wood typically hotter than coal, but anyone suggest to do place the magic heat directly above the stove unit.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Put a short piece of stove pipe first then the heat exchanger if he can I ran the MCC for three years & two fisher wood and two Alaska wood stoves for 4 with one right on top no problems and trust me I ran the stove hot 600f or more the magic heat has a temp switch/thermostat in it when it hits 150f it kicks on once it goes below 150 it shuts off .

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 8:47 am

I don't know if this is right on top of the stove or not. My set up works great for me. The only down side I have found is that my flue temps run on the cool side and for the magic heat fan to run steady I have to put it on the on mode not automatic. My friend has one on a wood stove and you could allmost toast marshmallows infront of it were I can allmost dry mittins. I like my magic heat but I think it will take years to pay for itself when you add in electric cost to run it. Not that the exchanger dosnt reclaim heat but I don't produce flue temps hot enough to make it worth my time. But all in all it looks cool anyways.
1013000829.jpg
.JPG | 82.6KB | 1013000829.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”