Very Small Coal Stoves??

SheepDog68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut, Lehigh Nut
Other Heating: Happy thoughts, good wool and a little propane.

Post by SheepDog68 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Ok, so now that I have been corrupted by you guys into one of the dark hearted coal burning fiends so many mothers warn their children about!!

I now find myself standing on the slippery slope because I am now wondering about very small coal stoves that would not overwhelm a tiny hunting/weekend cabin!!

While doing a little research online I saw some about the right size made for the marine industry, but could not believe the prices on those things!! I also looked at some of the old caboose type of stoves as well, but would have to be in the right place and the right time to pick one up!!

That train of thought eventually led to me wondering why I can't build a mini Kodiak or some such that would do what I want it to do!! For the price of a marine stove I think you could build a whole fleet of mini stoves!! (Could maybe even take the best of several stoves!!) Something about 12" square outside dimensions by 24" or so would make a pretty impressive stove that could still use full length fire brick and have the coal bed just as deep as the stove I am using, but would only be 1/4 or so the size of the Kodiak and plenty to heat a small place!!

I liked the option on both the marine and caboose stove to bolt them down since I had considered building the "cabin" on a hay wagon running gear so I could move it to any part of my property I cared to!! (Be easier to build in the shop this winter as well!! :D ) (And I have an extra running gear that my neighbor gave me when I bought some other things from him last year doing nothing right now!!)

So any one know of any tiny coal stoves besides the ones I mentioned that might work out for this sort of thing or have any good ideas about what to include when building a mini coal stove??

When talking to my dad this morning he mentioned the wagons that the shepherds live in out west.

He saw a number of them when touring the west years ago. He said that since many of the areas they travel in have no trees that many of them burn coal for heat and cooking!!

I will have to do some research to see what exactly they look like since there is no sense in reinventing the wheel here if someone has already perfected something that would work for me!!

So have I already been breathing too much coal smoke or is something like this mini coal stove a doable thing??

SD

:)

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Have you seen or gave any thought to a Jr. Chubby Stove?
**Broken Link(s) Removed** It is only 14" round and 28" high. If you want small and a coal stove, a Jr. Chubby is hard to beat. But with the size dimensions you state for a custom made coal stove, why not a large Chubby? It is only 18" round and 30" high. Just a thought.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 6:15 pm

i have a small potbelly stove . it stands only about 2.5 feet tall its made by king stove co. . no idea how well it does or doesn't work I got it free from my uncle . I tried it a couple of times before I found this forum and learned how to burn coal .

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 6:18 pm

i have seen lots of chubbies on craigslist . none have said if they are jr. or large . can you tell by a picture which is which ?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Yes you can easily tell a Jr.Chubby from the casting Jr.Chubby on the fire door.
**Broken Link(s) Removed** The large Chubby's just say Coal Chubby.
**Broken Link(s) Removed** The large Chubby can be had either a 6" top or rear vent, while the Jr.Chubby is only a rear 5" vent.

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Yea I looked for info on the Jr. but could not find as much info on it as I would like!!

Thanks for the dimensions, do you have any idea what BTU output is for that one? Also what are the chances of being able to bolt it down so that it would stay in place? (Don't the feet bolt on? Guess I could fab some up that would bolt down!!)

I would sure like to find one of the used marine or caboose coal stoves that needs a good home!! Of course I guess I have lots of time to come up with one as this project is still in the research faze!! The caboose stoves have safety catches on all the latches so there is no way any of the doors will come open accidentally and at least one of the marine stove I was reading about mentioned something along the lines of being able to keep burning in heavy seas without danger of the fire escaping the stove!!

SD

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 10:24 pm

A genuine caboose stove would work very well in a small cabin setting. That's what they were made for! Caboose stoves are made of the best, high grade cast iron because they have to withstand the jolts and bangs of being in a caboose. I have ridden in plenty of cabooses and they can slam you around hard, trust me.
A real caboose stove is airtight, very efficient and make good little cook stoves. If you really want one and I see one I'll let you know.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 12:54 am

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 2:36 am

The Jr. Chubby is around 35,000 BTU's and the large Chubby around 75,000 Btu's. Both have feet that bolt on and could be fitted with what you are thinking. The Chubby stoves, both the Jr. and the large Chubby have a positive locking door latch that will remain tightly secure also.

I'd give Larry a call. Larry Trainer, Designer of the "Coal Stove Chubby" Telephone 781-293-7990 before I would buy anything else. I really think it was what you want, but just don't know it yet. :idea: :)

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 4:23 am

The smallest and cutest coal stove I ever came across was the tortoise stove series. You might consider a tortoise no:1. An example of the tortoise no:2 is

Even that one is only 24" tall. They are around in the US but rare. Even given the shipping cost from the UK it might be cheaper than designing your own.

LOL.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 9:04 am

Outstanding list of links for me to look through!! Thanks!

I did some more reading on the caboose stove and if I could find one of those I think my search may very well be over!! As of yet I can't tell if it is small enough to ship or I would have to find a way to go git one.

I have been keeping my eye on ebay but as of yet don't see what I want so will keep on looking.

Guess I will go start looking through the list of links and see what all I can see!!

SD

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 11:29 am

The best caboose stove is an "Estate," brand. Many railroads had these exclusively. An Estate stove has no legs and is bolted to the floor. The Estate has an inscription cast into the top which says, "If I am good please tell others about it."

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 5:08 pm

http://goodtimestove.blogspot.com/2009/03/estate- ... blast.html

Click on the link to read a full description of the Estate Caboose Stove

alfonse

Post by alfonse » Sat. Oct. 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello.

I just opened an account with you all so that I could reply to a post on a small
coal stove.

What I have are 2 caboose stoves that I am considering to let go.

One is a Union with a very bad cracked pot. The rim on top has a chip in it.
It could be put back into service with a new (used) pot. On the cook top
it is dated Sept. 5, 1905, and has the print casted into it "If I am good, please
tell others about it".

The other is an Estate which is almost identical. It was used by my Dad in
his shanty. To the best of my knowledge there are no cracks with this one.

They items look like the #149 in the picture in the link below.
http://goodtimestove.blogspot.com/2009/03/estate- ... blast.html

If memory serves me, there is an extra set of grates for these.

I "think" that I have 3 feet for these stoves if they took feet. Dad didn't throw
out much, and well, I have that trait as well.

I am located near Toledo Ohio and you can email me @ [email protected] if
you are truly interested. I do not wish to seperate or piece these out due to the
fact that they are all intact. Thus being, they both will have to go.

I have been doing my share of research on these, and will not give them away.
They can stay in the garage if necessary.

Thank you very much!
~Al
doing some

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Take a look at the Jotul 507b. They are only one foot square and three feet tall. They have positive locking doors and are very easy to run. They are made from high quality cast. They have a max BTU output of 42,400. At max burn they are like a reactor going critical and they can be idled down so low you can hold your hand on the top of the stove for as long as you wish without burning your hand or having the stove going out. I have had mine idle for weeks at such a low idle the cast was barely warm to the touch. Open the draft and several minutes later the stove will throw off the heat. I have one that has ben online 24/7 for two years. Currently my Jotul 507 is idling with 14 hr burn times. I have a chubby sr and it doesn't hold a candle to the Jotul. The Jotul is easier to control, fit and finish on the Jotul is at a much higher standard, more efficient burner of coal, can burn a wider range of coal (from pea to stove coal), easier to shake, empty, and fill. Yes, the chubby sr will displace more heat and has a GREAT burn pot, however, comparing the size of the two stoves, the Jotul with its very small foot print and positive attributes, I believe is a far better stove. It can take a beating both physically and coal burning. Max burn temp of a Jotul is 932 F. I only wish the Jotul was made in a larger unit somewhere around 100,000 BTU range while maintaining all the positive characteristics of the 507b. This is just my two cents.

The snowman.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”