Another Stove: Harman Mark III

david78
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by david78 » Mon. Sep. 13, 2010 7:58 pm

After finishing the Splendid Oak stove, which was supposed to go in our new addition, we decided to put it in the living room of the old part of the house. So we were still one stove short. I'd been looking around for a baseburner with no luck, then thought about a Chubby awhile, then had about decided to find a Warm Morning to fix up so I could burn bit. I find those old Warm Mornings appealing for some reason; maybe because my grandparents had a couple of them in their house. I waffled awhile longer and then decided to see if the guy I had bought 60 bags of nut from still had his Harman that he wanted to sell. He did, and since my wife seemed to like the Harman better then anything else I had shown her, went Saturday and bought it. I'll paint it whatever color my wife decides on, polish the brass and it should look pretty good. At least now I'll have heat while finishing the inside of the addition :up: Here's some pics.
stove2 038.jpg
.JPG | 171.5KB | stove2 038.jpg
stove2 039.jpg
.JPG | 154.2KB | stove2 039.jpg
stove2 040.jpg
.JPG | 113.3KB | stove2 040.jpg

Attachments

stove2 041.jpg
.JPG | 91.6KB | stove2 041.jpg

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Sep. 13, 2010 9:37 pm

That Harman is in nice shape! It's a heat monster!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 13, 2010 11:46 pm

^^^ It sure is! 8-) Keeps this drafty dump pretty toasty.

Brass n' blue is nice. Never saw one in person. Mine is black on black ...... read: cheap. :lol:

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Tue. Sep. 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Nice purchase! If I had my way I would have a hand fed in every room of our house running at an idle, if I had my way.

The snowman.

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Tue. Sep. 14, 2010 9:22 pm

I really like the blue and brass, if I ever have to replace my Crane it will be the Harman Mark 1.

Rich

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 7:31 am

I used a Cubby for years. Now have a Harman MK III and love it.. Once you learn how to handle it you'll love it. We can have jam's with the shaker but the shaker system is still the best. It will put out more heat than a Chubby but If it's burning too hot for you get some Pea size. I use Pea now and it run's so much cooler for me early and later in season. I also catch the air from the vents and pipe it to my family room. Shaking with Pea is much easier as well.

david78

Post by david78 » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 9:38 pm

I wasn't sure I liked the blue, but I think it's growing on me. I have 1 1/2 tons of nut coal; I'm not sure I can even find pea around here, so I'll just have to use what I have for now. I hope this doesn't turn out to be too big of a stove. I'll be heating about 1200 square feet, half of it basement and the other half has a cathedral ceiling, about 10'. Lots of windows upstairs but well insulated. Or will be when I'm finished, I should say.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 7:54 am

It's gonna be warm in your place this winter.

Skinsfan

Post by Skinsfan » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 5:54 pm

I have a Mark III myself. Last year was my first year burning coal and I had trouble keeping the upstairs BELOW 78 degrees. It was a little too hot for me. I burned nut coal all season and I was considering giving pea a try this winter. Any suggestions?

david78

Post by david78 » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Open more windows? toothy

SheepDog68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut, Lehigh Nut
Other Heating: Happy thoughts, good wool and a little propane.

Post by SheepDog68 » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 8:05 pm

I have been idling my Kodiak for the past week on pea coal with no issues!! I had the stove temps down to 136 F the other day but that was a little low and it idles better at 175-200 F!!

So as of yet I love running the pea coal this time of year!! I have heard some talk of mixing it with nut to regulate it a bit!! May well work as well in the Harman as it does in the Kodiak!!

SD

:)

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Sep. 20, 2010 6:36 am

Skinsfan wrote:I have a Mark III myself. Last year was my first year burning coal and I had trouble keeping the upstairs BELOW 78 degrees. It was a little too hot for me. I burned nut coal all season and I was considering giving pea a try this winter. Any suggestions?
Pea will burn much slower/cooler believe me. I've been burning Nut for 16 years. Pea for 2 years. Have your dealer order it or keep the windows open and heat northern US.

david78

Post by david78 » Mon. Sep. 20, 2010 12:37 pm

If this winter is anything like last winter, heating the northern US doesn't sound like a bad thing. :lol:

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Mon. Sep. 20, 2010 2:56 pm

good luck with the Harman great stove had a sf 250 in my last house before I replaced it with a maga stoker from Harman I used to burn stove coal in it never had a problem.

Jeff

Bigbird48

Post by Bigbird48 » Tue. Sep. 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Well its that time again get the coal stove ready for this heating season, and I'm still waiting for coal to show up :!: (hint hint whislenut) but as you know or will know now that last year I had a Harman TLC 2000 in the house where I was living and loved that stove to death, never had any damper at all and could really control it with the slide on the ash door. Well I've moved and I found a great deal on a Mark ll ($350) and it looks exactly that blue Marklll , I'm not sure what the difference is between the too. But anyway now I'm going to have to learn all over again how to run this stove.New stove, different chimney yada yada yada. We've had a few cold night already so I tried a couple small wood fires and I seem to not get a lot of heat out of this stove, I don't have a MPD or baro on it as yet maybe I should try that and see what happens.
Also I'm having trouble getting the Brass to clean up, I used a good metal polish but it seemed like it didn't do anything at all, will anything clean it up or is it stained for good now :?: :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”