36 Hours and Still Burning

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
rouxzy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post Tue. Apr. 24, 2007 10:44 am

Well, with temps hovering in the 60's during the day yet still hovering close to 30's at night I've been keeping my Harman Mark III just idling at half a turn which is enough to keep the chill out of the house in the morning. With the temps climbing into the 70's and having to use the ceiling fan to sleep at night I decided it was time to shut it down for the season. 36 hours later ant it is still going. Whoever said that a stove won't draft well with outside temps above 45 didn't tell my chimney that. Anyway with a 36 hour burn and still some unburnt coal inside we'll see just how long she'll burn.
Tom

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post Wed. Apr. 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Are You still burning??? 56 hrs later?
Cap
Lehigh Twp.
Northampton Co., PA

Visit Hitzer Stoves

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post Fri. Apr. 27, 2007 9:15 am

I got about 58 hours out of my Harman TLC 2000 before it went out. Amazing! I wonder if I could have cranked it up again if I tried a couple hours before it went out.
I only had about two hands of coal on the very top that did not burn.

Oh well, its all cleaned out now and waiting for a fresh load in the fall.
Regards, Ray

Devil505
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Post Thu. Jul. 05, 2007 2:20 pm

I also own the Harman TLC 2000 & , with its precise air controls found I could just let the stove go for 24 hrs (with a low burn in all but Jan & Feb) before I would shake it down & reload it. I figured I cut down the dust created in the house by about half by doing this! (& also obviously made my workload lighter) I think I also used a bit less coal as well!
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
Winston Churchill
Shaking & Poking The TLC2000 Video

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”