Newbie Question

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 7:51 pm

I believe that the 70k BTU unit is to small for the size of the house. I'd compare the price of a stoker boiler to that of a 50-93 and figure in installation costs and see what the difference in costs are. Be sure to give the boiler credit for domestic hot water, and maybe a bit more for comfort factor, because the previous owner told you that there is a 10* difference between the two floors so does that mean the 1st floor is 80 to make the 2 nd one 70, and if that is a problem or not. Ultimately the stoker boiler is the best solution if you have plumbing and it is the design, but it is the most expensive. I'd say a minimum of a 90k BTU stove size wise, or a bit bigger. Are power outages a problem? Do looks matter? HItzer 82's are alot cheaper than the 50-93, but not very pretty.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 9:41 pm

DSM Basement #4...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Well,I may have just pulled the plug on sanity,but what is your chimney status? How many flues? A house of that age had to be laid out for having a stove upstairs. Could you waltz a Coal Chubby Sr. up there and operate it safely ? If not a Chubby Sr.,then perhaps something else? It would solve your short term high dollar heating problem,and the that would allow you to do a thorough study towards a stoker boiler fed hydronic zoned heating system. Sure,taking care of two stoves would be more work,but the 600 dollar heating bill being gone coupled with the time to properly study a permanent solution might be worth it. Remember,not all the nuts are behind the barbed wire,and I may be one of them ! What the heck,nothing ventured,nothing gained. :gee:

RLB112

Post by RLB112 » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 8:32 pm

i actually had a guy that owns a coal stove business here in the spring. he sells liesure line and I believe hitzer stoves. when I started working on the house I had no idea how to operate the stove thats here and had him over to show me how to run the stove. he told me that the 90k BTU stoker stove he sells would heat the house no prob. he knew that what ever I bought would be my only heating source for this winter and I didnt wanna be short on heat.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 9:19 pm

there's your sign :)

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 6:33 am

Yes 90K might heat it better, However if you have a 10degree differance already you will still have one. But now your first floor will be 80 and the second will be 70. You need better air flow. Is this stove on your first floor??? If you don't go with a boiler(best option) I would still go with a hand fed over a stoker. Is there any way you can put a vent above the stove to let more heat up? This would help with the temp differrance better circulation. The small stoker are all right, I was a He Man for years, then I turned into a girle man for one year (harman mag stoker), I couldn't take it though and went back to being a He Man :shock: :o :D . Seriously though I am all about the hand fed hate that fan noise, ecspecially in a living area.
Have a great weekend, Eric
P.S. Also like Cape coaler and myself keep saying 130Kbtu DS Machine stove with thermostat will satisfy your heating needs. Large for cold weather, but can idle low for warmer weather.

RLB112

Post by RLB112 » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 10:29 pm

i found a local dealer that sell the ds machine #4 stove for 1350+120 shipping + tax = roughly 1600 is that a fair price?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Sep. 04, 2010 3:26 am

is that with glass...
And the hopper...
We are talking the DSM Basement #4 right...
$1350+$120 shipping+$82 PA tax=$1552
Yep sounds about right...
I picked mine up at Gordonville and saved the shipping...

RLB112

Post by RLB112 » Sat. Sep. 04, 2010 9:06 am

yes its the dsm #4 basement model, and its actually shipped right to my house. im assuming it comes with the hopper and I know for sure it has the glass.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”