Need Advice on Tuning up for the Winter

Alberta_guy_in_PA

Post by Alberta_guy_in_PA » Fri. Aug. 27, 2010 10:28 pm

I bought a house last december with a Harman trident 360 boiler out in the shed, tied into the oil fired boiler in the house. I fiddled with it burning wood and some coal, but could not lean on it to be the #1 heat source due to my inexperience and I think the boiler may need a little tune up.
When I did fire it up, it would burn hot and fast, on wood or coal. I am talking it burned up 80 pounds (2 full bags blashak nut) in just 4 or 5 hours. Is that normal or am I right in thinking there is a problem.

It has about a 7" pipe coming out the back to an elbow, then a vertical of a few feet before another elbow going out through the wall where it hooks up to what looks like just an old piece of steel pipe which is about 10" going up to about even with the peak on the roof. there is a cleanout door about a foot or 2 below where the pipe comes through the wall, and it is just kinda sitting there with a rock holding it in place. no seal of any kind.

there is spots on the fire box door for what I assume would be dampers for wood burning. 1 of them is blocked permanently and the other is not original but does offer some air control.

the electric damper on the ash door works, and functions properly to my limited knowledge.

the firebox and ash doors seem to seal well, but I will do the seals no matter what before winter.

Looking for any other insight anyone can or will offer!!! I don't wanna rely on oil this winter :cry:

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Aug. 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Alberta_guy_in_Pa
Sounds like you are getting air in other than the controls. Do you have pictures of the whole system??? they speak better than words.
Have a great day, Eric

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Sat. Aug. 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Yup, pictures would be very helpful. In particular, a shot of the ash door damper so we can see the idle port adjustment. One of the inside of the doors to see the gasket condition, and one or two of the overall set up.

When you went through 80lbs. in 4 or 5 hours what was the water temp gage reading? Was the fire completely out in those 4 or 5 hours? When these Tridents are idling and you look in on the fire it could look like the fire is out but if the A350 termostat is satisfied she is just idling along.

You should expect 80lbs. to last 12 hours in the dead of winter and a cold wind blowing. I use about 50lbs. in 24 hours with my SF160 Trident during the same weather conditions.

Alberta_guy_in_PA

Post by Alberta_guy_in_PA » Sat. Aug. 28, 2010 9:56 pm

OK thanks guys, I will get some pics up tomorrow hopefully!!!

Joe in NH

Post by Joe in NH » Sat. Aug. 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I think JB (aka Jeff) is about right on with his 80 pound estimate for 12 hours in cold weather with a Trident SF360. I use about 80 pounds in 24 hours under mid winter conditions in northern NH in my Trident SF260. I would think that your water temp would be off the chart when consuming that quantity of coal. As stated previously, too much air has to be coming from somewhere and I tend to think that it is from either the door gaskets, the spinners on the loading door or the idle air adjustment port (that little strip of metal that covers the two holes on the automatic draft door). For example, I know that both Jeff and I keep our idle adjustment at about a 3/8 inch opening. A coal fire does not need much air when idling. The SF360 is the largest boiler of the group and could very well have some unique characteristics that are different than the smaller versions. I am sure an SF360 owner will jump in soon. Pictures would help. Joe

Alberta_guy_in_PA

Post by Alberta_guy_in_PA » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 6:42 pm

here are those pics, I finally got a chance to get some up.

Attachments

shed, boiler 001.JPG
.JPG | 250.8KB | shed, boiler 001.JPG
shed, boiler 002.JPG
.JPG | 249.7KB | shed, boiler 002.JPG
shed, boiler 004.JPG
.JPG | 243.1KB | shed, boiler 004.JPG
shed, boiler 006.JPG
.JPG | 249.6KB | shed, boiler 006.JPG
shed, boiler 007.JPG
.JPG | 252.3KB | shed, boiler 007.JPG
shed, boiler 009.JPG
.JPG | 253.4KB | shed, boiler 009.JPG
shed, boiler 011.JPG
.JPG | 246KB | shed, boiler 011.JPG
shed, boiler 013.JPG
.JPG | 250.7KB | shed, boiler 013.JPG
shed, boiler 014.JPG
.JPG | 242.7KB | shed, boiler 014.JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 7:03 pm

I see a new block chimney being built in your near future... ;)
A barometric damper on the inside...
How about some pics of the grate system...
The upper door spinners should be shut almost all the way for coal...
The bottom one is what regulates the heat...

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 8:42 pm

I also see new door gaskets installed and the idle port adjusted about 3/16" open. I can see why you went through 80 lbs. in 4 or 5 hours now.

Very interesting pictures, thanks for posting them.

When you take a picture of the grates inside the fire box, put a light inside the fire box, don't just rely on the flash of the camera, so we can get a clear view of them.

Thanks again
JB

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 9:04 pm

I would kill for that "Man Cave" that heats the house. ;) Sorry I cannot offer any advice, but you are in a good situation, and good advice should come.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”