Anchor Stove ?

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Sat. Aug. 21, 2010 10:16 pm

I just bought ($100) a nice parlor stove from the Anchor Stove and Range co. I am having trouble finding any info on the stove or co. I know someone here knows something about this company. The stove is a number 516 I will try to post pics later .

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 12:54 am

If you post some pictures of the stove, someone on the forum will probably be able to tell you someting about it. I do not recognize the stove so I am of little help.

the snowman.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 11:33 am

I had an Anchor for several years back when I was in college. I found it in an old warehouse down town that had a bunch of stoves in it. I got it for nothing and saved it from the smelter. It was a great stove. I used it to heat the downstairs of a giant Victorian mansion that I lived in. I have a better picture of it somewhere but this one is the only one I can find. This dates back to the 1980's. Does yours look like this one? Mine was made around 1910-1911. It had a magazine in it, but; it didn't work well with the lump Bituminous that we back home. So I took it out. None the less, even with high volatile Bituminous I could keep a fire in it for about 15-18 hours at a time. Please post some photos of your stove so we can take a look at it.
I don't know anything about the company that made the stove, but; it is a solid, well made product.

Attachments

Anchor Stove.jpg

Anchor Stove & A Much Younger Me

.JPG | 42.9KB | Anchor Stove.jpg

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 5:36 pm

101_2003.JPG
.JPG | 78.4KB | 101_2003.JPG
I think here is a picture with my lack of computer skills I am having trouble with pictures.

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 5:49 pm

101_2007.JPG
.JPG | 142.8KB | 101_2007.JPG
101_2009.JPG
.JPG | 81.6KB | 101_2009.JPG
101_2009.JPG
.JPG | 81.6KB | 101_2009.JPG
Well that seemed to work here is two more. Is the top slide vent/ inside tube something for bit coal?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks for the photos. It looks like a nice little parlor heater. I'm almost positive that the tube coming down from the top is for secondary air that is needed when you start the fire and when you load some fresh coal in it.
I hate to ask, but; could you show us the inside of the bottom under the grate. Or describe where the tube ends up down there. It will be a teachable moment for all of us.
Hopefully, you are going to restore the stove and use it. $100 is a very cheap price for a good stove, even; if you spend some more on it to restore it.

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Sun. Aug. 22, 2010 9:11 pm

the tube extends 12 inches down from the top. The tube stops at the top of the fire bricks it is in the center of the stove. The stove is in excellent condition and should be a good restoration project for a beginner like me.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Aug. 23, 2010 12:02 am

Okay, now I see it. The tube is definitely to supply secondary air during starting and when you need it. The tube extends down through the barrel where all the heat is so the air can be heated before it enters the stove, thus; increasing combustion efficiency. It is meant to be closed when the fire is established.
Keep us updated on how you are progressing with the stove. :)

sgoodwin
Baseburners & Antiques: Anchor Parlor Stove

Post by sgoodwin » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi. I have that exact stove. But your "crown" is a little more fancier than mine. I inherited the stove from my grandparents. I know it is from at least the 1920s because my mother said they use to stand between the stove and the wall to get warm. I currently use mine to heat a 1925 cape farmhouse. I need to replace the bottom grate. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? Thanks for your help.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 9:08 pm

These stoves having the over the fire tube, placed that way is very interesting and I hope we will have more infos on how you like it.
They were very ingenious to make all these options with no computer, no laser, but a lot of :idea: :idea: :idea:

sgoodwin
Baseburners & Antiques: Anchor Parlor Stove

Post by sgoodwin » Fri. Jan. 30, 2015 9:33 pm

I LOVE my stove. I inherited it in 1995 but just started using it 2 years ago. It puts out some serious heat. I burn wood in mine. My grandfather would burn wood sometimes and coal. My crazy aunt took spray paint and prayed all the chrome with silver paint. Fortunately, the heat from the stove is making the paint come off. I hope to have it back to its original glory.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 31, 2015 6:55 am

sgoodwin wrote:I LOVE my stove. I inherited it in 1995 but just started using it 2 years ago. It puts out some serious heat. I burn wood in mine. My grandfather would burn wood sometimes and coal. My crazy aunt took spray paint and prayed all the chrome with silver paint. Fortunately, the heat from the stove is making the paint come off. I hope to have it back to its original glory.
"2" crimes here. 1- spray painting nickel finishes. 2- burning wood in it?
Have you tried coal yet? Does it "not" burn well?

meredith47161

Post by meredith47161 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Anchor Stove and Range Co, Mr. Gohmann the founder and president of Terstegge, Gohmann Company, builders of the Anchor Stove and Range, New Albany, In. (Where I grew up) Currently, the Gohmann’s are in the asphalt paving business. They are responsible for a great deal of the streets, roads and the Interstate Hwy system in and around the Metro area of New Albany, Jeffersonville, IN and Louisville, KY.

My mother purchased stove #518 from my Nanny, unused, in the 1950's. I had heated my house with it from 2007 to 2016.

Perhaps you could contact the New Albany Public Library for more information as there is not much to be found on the internet. The Padgett/Anchor building pictured still stands today. Hope this helped a little !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertbobbypowell/4100176201/

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”