Who Is Ready?

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 10:04 am

Who is ready for the winter heating season and burning their hand fired coal stove? Up here on the tug hill in Northern NY the trees are already starting to turn color and the nights are starting to become a little more cooler. On calm days you can smell fall in the air. I'm excited although I have been burning coal in the Jotul at an idle all summer, actually this is the second year of continuous burning for one of the Jotul stoves. I can't wait until I can put the other Jotul online and start to throttle them up. So, give us your short version of how your hand fired stove and yourself are ready for the season. Let the stories begin.

The snowman.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 10:33 am

Why do you burn year-round? To keep the basement warm and dry?

I haven't started yet, but I am looking forward to lighting the first match and getting the basement dried out. It seems like everything is ahead of schedule, the apples in my area are going to be ready two weeks early.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 11:03 am

I am ready to deploy sir! The Stanley Argand and the Glenwood both have been cleaned, polished and inspected. Both stoves have had new mica placed in all viewing windows. There is four tons of nut coal to begin the season. Stove size coal will arrive soon for the Glenwood.
Since I got laid off of my job, all Summer projects have been put on hold until further notice.
None the less, I am standing by, waiting, prepared and eager to start 'em up. :)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 11:13 am

Snowman lives in Mother Nature’s Icebox... :lol:
Have several tons of coal lined up in the Suburban Shallow Coal Mines...
I want to replace the Metalbestos chimney with a real one...
But a car accident has put that off for a bit...
Gotta' love women who are rushing to get somewhere...
And not paying attention...
Some cars had stopped to let people across the road at a crosswalk...
Running into the rear of my stopped truck... :mad:
Now that got her attention...

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Not yet. I ran my Chubby for the first time on my deck this past Sunday, a small wood fire. I plan on placing my first major order of coal from Bob over at American in the next few weeks and the Chubby should be installed in the house either this weekend or next.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Mr. Capecoaler, I hope you are ok after your little rear bumper test. Some ladies like to multitast while they are driving, don't-cha know.

IOF, hope we can get one more pic with the stove all hooked up and ready to go. Congrats on a real good restoration job.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my new coal storage area. Have 6 tons ready to stack in there. The Harman and the Chubby are ready to go.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm looking at many leaves coming off the Maples & Poplars out back & a little color showing on the hills,oh that's right,I'm on a hill :) ---got 3 T of nut put up & another T pd for & waiting to be picked up--some nights lately have been in the 40's--I'm a winter kinda guy,wierd huh---got a family of Fox behind the back pasture & thier coats are getting a little thicker--the horses thicken & shed,thicken & shed--they're confused but ready--just about got the new tranny & transfer case back in the plow truck & 2 more payments on kick ass snows for the farm truck so I can get Momma to work when her fancy Luxery Sedan don't wanta go--one of us has to make the big bucks :lol: --YEP,I guess we're ready & waiting as is the Hitzer 50-93---snowman,this global warming is hell ain't it??? ;)

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 12:49 pm

I turned it all off last season and never looked back after slicing my finger.

I wonder what a pile of *censored* Ill find :D

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I run the one Jotul all summer due to the fact that I live in an icebox. The house in the summer is always cold and damp. Running the Jotul at an idle keeps the house comfortable and dry and the wife happy. My two Jotul stoves are not in the basement, they are on the first floor of the house. Yes, the global warming is a pain. The trees around here are confused, we have had cold and warm weather all summer. Both stoves will be online by the end of September. Mother nature loves to give us cold and snow early and let us keep both until very late spring and sometimes later. I'm running the coal supply down low so I can move my one coal bin. I will be filling both coal bins in the next two weeks. Four ton in the bins and two ton I have bagged from a neighbors basement will take me through this time next year. I can't wait for the snow to start falling. Got to love the warmth of a hand fired coal stove.

the snowman.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 2:21 pm

I have a ton more pics to come. Just haven't had time to post them. There will be pics of it hooked up too. I can't wait to learn how to use this thing this winter.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 3:26 pm

I have 4 tons of rice in bins in the basement. And I have the new Keystoker KA-2 sitting there also. I am running pex for the under floor retro fit today. Later this week the HVAC guy comes to layout the boiler piping . The manifolds should be here tomorrow. Gotta get'er done!

SheepDog68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut, Lehigh Nut
Other Heating: Happy thoughts, good wool and a little propane.

Post by SheepDog68 » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes and then again no!!

I have the stove I have been using ready to go, but I am going to be switching to a new stove here in a week or two so I am not ready with that one as of yet!!

I do have several years worth of wood on site and at least one years worth of coal ready to go in the mud room all of which gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling :P !! Hopefully by the end of the month I will have several years worth of coal on site and a good stove ready to go!!

Now if we can just get some more projects completed around here we can look forward to the coming changing of the seasons!!

SD

:)

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Ready ? I can't wait. Take this hot muggy weather and stick it up your fire box.
This has been the worst summer that I can remember. If it snowed tomorrow, it
wouldn't be too soon.

envisage
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Werner Foundry 350a
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400, Fire Boss Wood/Coal Hyrbrid
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat, Pea, Chestnut and Stove

Post by envisage » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 4:56 pm

My Warm Morning Model 400 is ready to burn baby! It has been an absolutely horrible summer this year. Well over 50 days with temps in the 90s, combined with high humidity ... I am so ready for winter. 23 tons of coal, 11 cords of oak and hickory firewood. Let's get this party started!!! :-)

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Mon. Aug. 16, 2010 5:12 pm

It has been so HOT this summer I am actually looking forward to this winter.The Buck Model 24 is all ready to do her thing and is just waiting for mother nature to bring on the colder temperatures and cooperate. Can't wait for the burning season!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”