Fireplace Insert Screen With Coal Burning

italia899

Post by italia899 » Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 9:28 am

I have a dual fuel fireplace insert. Can I safely utilize the fireplace screen while burning anthracite coal, similar to wood? I know I'd be losing heating effciency, but it would be nice to display for my guests.

Thanks.

italia899

Post by italia899 » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 9:44 am

All these views and no responses. Does anyone use a fireplace screen when burning coal?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 11:02 am

If it allows air over the top of the fire absolutly not. If it doesn't then it is probably fine.
I think the delay is caused because its hard to tell what you are asking without seeing the screen and unit together.

rsopko

Post by rsopko » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 11:08 am

I have the Alaska Kodiak hand fire and the screen is always left in place (it's a top loader). I belive that this helps protect the glass from the ocassional coal poping which contains moisture after loading the stove up, I've wittness this after adding on to a very hot bed, I buy in bulk so thats why it may have a greater moisture content then bagged.

Also don't give up on a answer,I've been only burning since Thanksgiving and from what I've learned from this site made me a pro in on my first ton.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 11:53 am

I'll take a stab at an answer. If you are only going to show the fire for half an hour or so, then maybe the fire will stay going. If the mesh of the screen is fine enough to catch the little pieces of ash that shoot out of the fire, then I don't think there is much danger from fire. You wouldn't want carpeting near the front of the stove with the doors open, or a nice wood floor either.

BUT, you must have a pretty strong draft of the sulphur smell may become obnoxious pretty quick.

I think once you open the door, the draft through the coal bed will diminish pretty quick, and the blue flames will die down, leaving the coal bed glowing red for a while, untill the lack of air through the coal bed causes the fire to die.

It can't hurt to try, as long as you have a CO detector in the room, and fresh air getting into the room.

Greg L
Last edited by LsFarm on Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

italia899

Post by italia899 » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks guys. I just realized after reading your reply posts the rule I have followed since joining this forum: no air above coal fire! Now I realize the fireplace screen would allow air above the fire. I must of left my brain at the office. Have a great weekend!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”