New to Coal

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Mar. 06, 2007 7:56 pm

$10 a bag? Is the bag velvet? :shock:
You won't burn more filling it, just making it easier to operate with less chance of an upset. Anthracite loves a deep bed.

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Tue. Mar. 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Russo,

Nice insert. I am on LI and am considering a coal stove. Where do you get your coal from and what are they charging per ton? (ducks head, hopes coalman does not mind talking about dealer a few hundred miles from him :paperbag: )

I was thinking of putting in a DVC-500 or a Leisure Line with a power vent, wood is great, but hauling splits 4 times a day is getting a little old...

-- Mike

russo81

Post by russo81 » Tue. Mar. 06, 2007 9:24 pm

I get my coal from coram, its on route 112 north of the LIE on the left, you cant miss it. I think they said 260 for a ton, I probablly heard them wrong cause that sounds exspensive to me....And CoaledSweat I loaded it up like you said to the top of the firebrick, I shut the air down a bit and it was putting out nice heat, I hope it last untill 6am then ill shake it and add another bag for my wife she will be home all day...Is that exspensive for nut coal 10 bucks per bag? I don't know much about it, I only got 3 bags so far...

bugize

Post by bugize » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 12:32 am

10 bucks a bag is expensive...i pay 290 per pallet,which is 2400 lbs= 60 bags.like sweat said...fill er to the hilt ,make sure it is burning good...i.e blue wisps....then cut back the draft.i thought at first you had a insert...you have a stove piped into the fireplace I take it?i see your pics..the second one looks like a nice bed...it does take some fiddling...making mistakes and so forth but it is safer than wood...plus..my g/f doesnt have to fill it like she would if I heated with wood...and,well...i feel better knowing I am the only one messing with the stove. :shock:

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 6:56 am

Nice stove.

Last I heard, Rella had a loose ton for $240, but it may have gone up. It is Reading, so at least it's good coal. I thought their bag was $6?
You might take a trip to NEPA coal country.

I figure it costs about $100 to fetch it. From up island it's probably only 2hrs. Dump 3-4 ton loose and you're good for next winter. Figure $160/ton + $100 and you can heat your place for about $600-
$800 next winter. That's about half my cost in oil.

(I just whacked and split a few trees on the property and, in addition to 2 days of great excercise, I have about 3 weeks of wood. :crazy:)

BTW: I hope you're not burning that green stuff - that'll make you talk funny.

russo81

Post by russo81 » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 7:15 pm

ok, thanks..i guess ill have to take a lil trip to get the coal because for 10 bucks a bag I might as well buy oil LOL......By the way I packed the stove as much as I could at 6:30 last night and it went untill 6 am, with a nice bed still glowing then I added more coal and it went untill 1pm and would have went longer if I had remembered to shake it and empty the ashes. do you guys leave your stoves going when your not home?do You think it is safe? Imo still not sure what the vent on the top right of my stove does, Its not atached to the stove but on the metal plate that surround the stove and its got a pipe to the top back of the stove, I don't know if it is to help the chimny draft or puts air to the fire. You guys have that on your stoves?.....thanks for the help anyway.

russo81

Post by russo81 » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 7:21 pm

oh yeah, how much cheaper is coal in the summer? mybe I will stock up in the summer if its a better price

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey Charlie, where are you on the North Fork? And... better question... if you are in Southold, what do you do with the coal ash? I'm interested in adding a coal stove, but have no idea as to how to dispose of the ash... worried that the boys in Cutchogue will have me arrested for dumping toxic waste.

-- Mike

tstove

Post by tstove » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Hey russo81,I think that hole off to the right is to allow secondary air to your firebox when you burn wood.Obviously you would want that closed if you are burning coal.Try to look inside the stove and see where it enters.I have a russo stove c55,my stove has no secondary air for woodburning so I just leave the loading door cracked open a little when starting a new fire with wood.My stove is a free standing style designed for coal burning.If your's is for wood and coal like you say you need a way for air to get at the wood other than from below.If you try opening and closing that control while you have wood burning you should be able to see the affect it has on the fire almost instantly,unlike coal,good luck

bugize

Post by bugize » Wed. Mar. 07, 2007 11:48 pm

:shock: russo....try to get a magnetic thermometer to put on your stovepipe...it helps to let you know how your fire is doing....most wood burners run 300-400 degrees for good heat output...i have mine about a foot above the elbow on the back of the stove and I crank out the heat when that reads between 225-300....i abjust my draft according to temp outside...say...when its in the high 30s...i want my stack temp around 200,maybe 180...when its zero....300 on the stack. coal takes awhile to notice the change where as wood is pretty much you can see right away.it is very safe to leave your home while the stove is running with coal,thats one of the advantages over wood....alot safer to leave...and....unless your gone along time...the fire wont go out and you come home to a cold house like with wood.for instance...i am working 12 hour nights this week...i fill at 330-4 pm....when I get to it around 7 am...i still have a nice bed of red coals....although the heat output is waning some...but....its 15 hrs later.

russo81

Post by russo81 » Thu. Mar. 08, 2007 10:16 am

ok, thanks

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 08, 2007 10:26 am

You may have been paying the $10/bag rate because you bought only a few bags. If you go in and tell them you want a ton in bags, you will probably pay around $6 per 40# bag. That figures out to $300/ton plus tax.
When you buy in Pa. there is no tax on coal.

Did you burn coal last night again??

Greg L

russo81

Post by russo81 » Thu. Mar. 08, 2007 1:07 pm

yeah I burned coal last night it burned pretty good untill 7 in the morning. I definetly want to buy a couple of ton next year, its gonna start getting warmer here.....does the coal price drop in like the mid summer? cause then ill stock up this summer.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Bulk coal at the breakers in Pa drops in the summer, usually $10-20/ton But the bagged I don't think drops as much.

Out on LI, I doubt if the bagged price will drop much, they probably use the lower summer prices to stock up with for the fall/winter sales. Transportation of the coal is a very big added expense.

What happened to the coal fire at 7AM? burn out due to no more coal??

Greg L

russo81

Post by russo81 » Thu. Mar. 08, 2007 4:59 pm

I just picked up a few more bags today, The price for bulk if I pick it up is 240 a ton and its a lil cheaper if I get 2 tons, the sales lady said the price does drop a lil in the summer, so I guess ill get a couple of tons this summer for next winter and then ill see how much money I can save on oil....Oh and farm the fire went out at 7 am because I ran out of coal, but there was a thin layer left I thought everything would burn up cause I had a nice burn going but I guess I needed to add more.... well im gonna stuff as much as I can fit in it tonight and see how that works out..

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”