Brunco Forced Air Furnace and Anthacite

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Mar. 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Bummer! About the air spinners. What size coal are you using? I noticed that you had some unburnt coal slip through the grates when you shook them but could you go one size smaller on the coal to give you a longer, slower, "cooler" burn? I know that sounds weird but that's sort of what you do when you're idling. I use pea coal in the fall and spring to slow my burn and therefore bring my heat production down. Yeah, I know the air intake plays a part, too, but maybe the spinners would close just far enough to allow this to happen. It sure would save you a lot of coal if you could burn at a slower burn 24/7 and still produce the heat when you needed or wanted it by opening the air spinners. Something to think about anyway. Lisa

grizzly2c

Post by grizzly2c » Wed. Mar. 03, 2010 6:27 pm

well generally I am happy I just have to learn it a bit. I am burning nut. The weather here ios rather warm around 30ish. I have the same trouble even with wood. the house temp goes to high 70's. The coal has ben easier to control to a livable temp. I had it just idling for about 30 hours. I cant really idle wood down. I guess even idling the coal will not clog up the chimney correct?? I will be set for when we get around the zero degree temps.. thanks

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Mar. 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Well it sounds like you have it burning pretty good. It almost make me wish I had the guts to modify the ash door when I had my 190. I didn't know about this great site back then, now that I think about it, I don't think it existed yet when I had my 190. I remember calling Brunco up on the phone and having a very long detailed discussion about doing what you have just done and Brunco didn't want me to do it, it would void my warranty, it wasn't tested that way, we don't recommend it, if it was going to improve our product we would have put it there, etc.

I'm happy for you and glad it is working as well as I thought it would. Do you think that you could post some pictures? We all love pictures here and I'm sure it will help someone else with doing an improvement to their Brunco furnace.

Great Job! :)

grizzly2c

Post by grizzly2c » Thu. Mar. 04, 2010 9:57 am

Yes I will get some pictures over the weekend and post them. I have to go out of town until then.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”