Harman Wood/Coal Fireplace Insert

paving2007

Post by paving2007 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi All,

Looking at this stove on ebay, maybe interested in purchasing need some input though, it is a Harman Coal/Wood Fireplace insert
want to make sure it would be worth it
they say it is excellent cond starting bid is 400.00, what would be a good price for this
it is hand fired (not stoker

Attachments

ea2c_1.jpg
.JPG | 22.4KB | ea2c_1.jpg

coal_kid

Post by coal_kid » Tue. Feb. 13, 2007 6:25 pm

It looks nice. I would check it out in person first and talk to owner. For $400 your getting a great deal if its all working and you can just hook it up. Hand fired is nice if your power goes out. In NJ coal should still be in reach.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Feb. 14, 2007 7:25 am

I would make sure the shaker mechanism is in good shape, the handle can get loose and sloppy, and the linkage between the grates gets loose and one of the grates doesn't move as much as the others and ash will collect above this almost-stationary grate.

If it can be bought for $400, even with a few slight problems, it is a deal.

Greg L

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Wed. Feb. 14, 2007 8:30 am

LsFarm wrote:\ the handle can get loose and sloppy....
Greg L
Hmmmm Greg. This is sorta off topic....But my shaker handle has always had quite a bit of play in it. Though I've NEVER touched another coal stove other than my own, so I don't know what is normal....But I was skeptical about the amount of free play in my handle before the grates are actually engaged to shake. But now that I see my stove works awesome....and I have no shaking problems....I figured it wasn't a big deal.

And since my stove went down (been going since Oct.) and I cleaned it out....all slots in the grates were free of debris/ash/stones/stuff whatever. I guess it's OK?

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Feb. 14, 2007 1:03 pm

My Harman Mark III which was at least 12 years old when I sold it had play in the shaker. The 2005 Harman SF-250 shaker has just as much play. The weak link is in the actual handle where it bolts onto the shaker mechanism. But the actual mechanisim is all cast iron and it appears to be designed to be loose.

So I'd say it is typical for the Harman shaker to feel loose. Just don't force it. The handle is not cast but standard mild carbon steel.

I like the insert for $400 too. Looks very heavy and durable. It's a Mark III with the sides and additional space above the fire box.

I wonder if this particular unit was customized?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”