Can Any One ID This Burner?

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Wed. Jan. 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I have had this stove for sometime now and I cant find out who the manufacture is.It says double comfort on the loading door.It has two doors .A glass window in the front!Any help???
Image[/img]
Image[/img]

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Looks like a nice little wood stove, I don't see a shaker grate handle, but maybe an option, the bolt between doors may have been a shaker grate option?

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Wed. Jan. 20, 2010 6:07 pm

hey oceantraveler,is there a shake grate? is the shaker handle located in ash compartment.

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Wed. Jan. 20, 2010 7:51 pm

There is a place in the center of the two doors were a handle would go to the shaker! you can see it in one of the pictures there is a bolt in it now.I have been useing it faithfully for 6 yeras now heating my whole house.1200 sqft ranch!Thanks

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Thu. Jan. 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Anyone have any Ideas on what the factory set up would be and air controls? what temp would be a good safe temp to burn this babY1????All awnsers are greatlly appreceated ! Thank u in advance for everyones input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Fri. Jan. 22, 2010 4:46 am

Wanted to try burning some coil today with this unit.I have located a shaker handle and would like to try it out as soon aspossible.any reply s on where I should have the air control adjusments for optimum heating? I have temp gauge so I can mont the flu tempsS...thanks inadvance for your help everyone.Regards Andrew aka oceantraveler..............

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Jan. 22, 2010 5:38 am

Does it have firebrick lining the inside? Does it have cast iron grates? If so, give 'er a try. Before you do..... make sure you have a CO detector. Do NOT burn coal without one. Would you sleep knowing you had no fire detector? With coal, you don't sleep(or watch TV) without a CO also.

So.... coal.... All air comes from under the grate. Start a wood fire using whatever you want as kindling and one inch hardwood as the main fuel. Once it's going hard, sprinkle in a cup or two of coal every 5 min for half an hour. Once you can see the coal is glowing red add a 2 or 3 inch layer. Once flames are coming out of it, (a few minutes) add another layer. Keep layering until the coal is to the top of the firebrick. Now shut the air down to a "normal level". If you have numbers, try 3. If you have threaded rod & those cast iron knobs, try 1 full turn. After 1/2 hour adjust to your desire. Too hot? When any part of the stove glows red in the dark.
After you "learn the stove" you'll spend much less time with it. Some stoves, 3 minutes twice a day & you're warm as a ....as as...well.... person that burns coal!

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Fri. Jan. 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks you freddy.Its lined with firebrick and has cast grates aswell.I may fill it with some coal tonite if all goes well buying some today!

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Fri. Jan. 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Oh yea what would be a good safe temp to run this particular stove at???

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Jan. 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Shouldn't be any different from other mass produced stoves. I'd call 600° side temps max.

oceantraveler

Post by oceantraveler » Sun. Jan. 24, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks fellas.Gonna Burn some coal this week.I may have to do some searching to find some coal distb around here though! Thanks again for everyones help!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Jan. 24, 2010 10:32 am

To emphasize a couple things Freddy said:
Air for coal must come from under the grates, so that air inlet on the loading door will be closed. (Or maybe opened the tiniest tiniest tiniest little bit ... no, even less than you are thinking.)
During the start-up period when you are loading it up with coal, it will want lots of air from under the grates. I just leave the ash door open.
Lots of people use charcoal briquettes instead of hardwood to start the fire -- get them flaming well then start layering on the coal. Don't wait for the charcoal to burn down to cooking condition before adding coal.

P.S. Start with nut coal (which is really bigger than nuts). If that works well you might try pea size (which is really bigger than peas).

Woodchuck Pirate
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Double Comfort DC-250 Eastern Metal Of Elmira Inc
Other Heating: Double Comfort DC-250 Eastern Metal Of Elmira Inc

Post by Woodchuck Pirate » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Yes!
I believe your stove is a Double Comfort DC-250 made by Energy Division - Easter Metal of Elmira, Inc. 1430 Sullivan Street, Elmira, New York 14901.

I am presently installing what looks like an identical stove today at my farm in Chemung, NY. I bought the stove from my neighbor whom has provided me with his original purchase receipt dated March 6,1982 denoting purchase price of $520.00 plus tax.

My neighbor has provided me with a complete documentation file. This includes original warranty certificate denoting model number DC-250, serial number 20-137, purchase date March 6, 1982. Also included is the original ten page installation and operational instructions. This install/operational instruction manual includes diagrams denoting recommended spacing etc. The operations instructions are well detailed. Also included is a disclaimer sheet advising how to prevent damage to the glass viewing port, suggesting to tighten knobs on the glass retaining frame only to where they touch the frame.

Elmira, NY is about 20 miles west of my farm. I'm not sure if the original manufacturer is still operating, and if so in what capacity. The install manual says Energy Division - Eastern Metal of Elmira Inc. 1430 Sullivan Street, Elmira, New York 14901 (607) 734-7158 "Manufactured with your comfort in mind."

The original purchase receipt says: Eastern Metal of Elmira, Inc. Manufacturers Of Traffic And Safety Signs. Industrial Park-Sullivan St. - (607) 734-2295 Elmira, NY 14901 There is a hand entry denoting: Energy Div 734-7158

I will be scanning the complete document file for my records. My email address is [email protected]

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”