Can Someone ID This Insert?

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
philaphire

Post Sun. Feb. 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Hello everyone, as you can see this is my first post.

Here's a coal/wood insert I could pick up for almost nothing. I had to move too many things to get a good look at the tag. What brand is it and what's the reputation? THANK YOU.
Attachments
stove.jpg

dll

Post Sun. Feb. 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Your insert looks very much like the first coal stove that I purchased in 1988. See attached picture.
My stove was manufactured by a company called Salvo Machinery of Fall River, MA.
The shaker mechanism was of a poor design and broke on me at least 3 times at the pivot point inside the stove. This required a complete shutdown of the stove (it always happened during the heating season) and at least an hour to disassemble and replace the pivot pin that broke. Overall I was very unhappy with this stove and ended up replacing it with a Harmon.
The stove is now in storage in an unused part of my house I plan to put it in my garage sometime in the near future and fuel it with wood.
I still have the original owners manual and some promotional literature from the company if you are interested.
Attachments
stove.jpg

philaphire

Post Sun. Feb. 11, 2007 6:50 pm

well, I'm only planning to burn wood in it anyway - did you burn much wood in yours? If so, how did it do? Does it have an internal damper? I think the one I'm looking at does have one. i'd like to see the literature once I confirm that it's the same make. I'll have to try to get at the plate and confirm.

THANKS

Visit Hitzer Stoves

mayers66
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Citation/Salvo Machinery
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Phil,

Can I get a copy of the manual you have. I am having the same problems with the connection as you were having.

mayers66
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Citation/Salvo Machinery
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 3:54 pm

dll,

This request was ment for you... Do you still have a PDF of the Citation/Salvo Machinery manual? would love to get a copy if you don't mind.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”