Pea Coal on Top of Nut Coal

pat10

Post by pat10 » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 9:24 am

i have a small potbelly stove which came from a boxcar. the holes of the grates are too big for 1/2 bag of peacoal I have.
can I establish hot bed with nut & pour the pea on top to burn it? good or bad idea? thanx

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 9:38 am

Search on the topic.

Heres one thread...
Pea Coal Vs. Chestnut Coal Vs. Stove Coal

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 10:10 am

Not a bad idea - the pea coal will slow down your burn. However, you may lose a lot of unburned pea coal when you shake the stove. If you are only trying it to use up the pea, go for it. Lisa

Maxie105

Post by Maxie105 » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Sounds like the mix that is purchased directly from the coal delivery man called Range. Nothing more than the mix you describe. I just purchase it by the ton.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 7:48 pm

pat10 wrote:i have a small potbelly stove which came from a boxcar. the holes of the grates are too big for 1/2 bag of peacoal I have.
can I establish hot bed with nut & pour the pea on top to burn it? good or bad idea? thanx
Most if not all Railroad stoves were designed for Bit. coal. If you are having issues burning anthracite, try bigger pieces such as nut or even stove coal. If the stove gets too hot, try a manual damper or Barometric damper. This will slow the burning of the coal. If the stove still gets too hot, then add some pea coal to slow the draft over the fire.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”