Wood Stove Burning Coal

Turbo1200

Post by Turbo1200 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 12:11 am

I have a hearthstone mansfield soap stone stove and was wondering if anyone could advise me on burning anthricite in it I have biult a custon grate to keep the coal off the bottom of the stove and let lots of air in under bed of coal but being it stil has a top heated air injection was wondering of that would pose a problem can any one help info please

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 12:23 am

For anthracite coal to burn, the only source of combustion air must come from below the coal bed. The ash from the coal must be able to 'shaken' out from under the fire, so the grate needs to be able to move to allow the ash to fall below the fire, and into a removable ashpan.

Unless you can create the above items, I doubt that you will sucessfully burn anthracite coal in your stove. I'd go to several of the major stove makers' websites and look at the cut away drawings of the stoves. use this info to see if your modified stove has a chance to burn hard coal.

Greg L

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 3:16 am

You of course could burn soft coal (aka bit coal) in your stove. I assume that you don't mind if you void the warrentee?

Thanks,
Glenn

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 8:55 am

It would be lots easier to burn lump soft coal in that stove but a grate can quickly burn out in a stove like that because of the limited air coming up from underneath cooling the grate and if you plan to keep a constant fire going, getting ashes out can be a pain. Keeping ash from building up under the grate will help it last longer but if you want to burn hard coal you really need a properly designed stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”