Add Newly Delivered Coal to Old Batch Burning?

italia899

Post by italia899 » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 3:48 pm

First and foremost thanks to everyone for helping make my first year burning experience a pleasure.

I have gone through almost 3.74 tons of anthracite this year (Oct.-present) and just ordered another 1.5 tons from a different supplier.

I was away for the weekend and had to let the fire go out. I just fired my stove back up this morning with what little coal I have left. The 1.5 tons is being delivered tomorrow morning. Should I add the freshly delivered coal after I shake in the morning, or should I start a new fire with the new coal? I know I've heard not to add newly delivered coal on top of an old pile of stored coal and wasn't sure if the same rule applied to coal that's already burning. The new and old coal are both nut size.

Thanks!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 4:14 pm

That rule is for coal being stored, not burned. When you store coal a lot of fines (small pieces) settle to the bottom, if you keep adding your new delivery on top of the old without getting to the fines and cleaning them out you could wind up with a dangerous situation eventually.

Just load that baby up 'cause it's cold outside!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”