My Barometric Damper Is

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Jan. 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I almost always demonstrate the temp difference between outlet of stove and stack as those numbers paint a clear picture of wasted heat.

stove temp side of 650 and stack temp of 150 is warmer that say 650 and 250....

amout 100 degrees warmer!!!! all due to minor adjustment of baro and or air inputs....

a manometer is the only way to visualize the adjustment because you cant see the air moving unless you fog the room using dry ice...... then you need to be playing Ozzie Osborne music too!!! :P

NosmoKng

Post by NosmoKng » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 11:12 pm

I found this insert at an ancient hardware store, 125 years old with ladders up to the ceiling and a grouchy old bas*ard owner. Look at how I had to cap my damper down to get it right. Now the flames are small, the heat is high, its warm in here, and the stack is cool. :D

Attachments

cappeddamper.JPG
.JPG | 95.8KB | cappeddamper.JPG

NosmoKng

Post by NosmoKng » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Thast's a piece of foil over the round opening which is about 3".

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Covering up the baro is keeping more heat IN the stove?? Do you have a manometer, what does it read?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 6:36 am

That looks like a 6" to 3" reducer, plugged into the Baro's opening.. then covered with a piece of foil to restrict it.

You need to borrow a manometer or buy one. Set your draft at say -.04" and see how your stove burns.. maybe your stove likes more draft. ? If so set the damper at .05" or .06" what ever works.. What you are doing is circumventing what the damper is designed to do, which is control draft to a steady amount. Right now, if you get a high draft situation, like high winds, cold night, the damper will be so restricted, it won't control your draft well enough, and you will burn more coal than you should.

How many pounds of coal in your firebox? What is the size of the firebox WidthxLenghtxdepth?? Your stove may just need more draft to burn well, but that doesn't mean that the baro can't be adjusted to work correctly..

Do you have an outside source of fresh air to the stove??

Greg L

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 6:56 am

This issue has been discussed here:
My Barometric Damper Is
You still need to measure the draft with a manometer, I agree with Greg that now the baro won't control the draft on windy days.
On the other thread there is no information about your chimney, please provide some, pictures would be nice. Once the baro is set correctly with a manometer it will keep the draft to the stove consistent. Otherwise it's just trail and error.

NosmoKng

Post by NosmoKng » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 7:50 am

I tried setting the damper on various setting down to totally closed. When it is totally closed it still acts like its drawing too much air. That's when I decided I needed less. Its working great now, but I do need to set it properly.

NosmoKng

Post by NosmoKng » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 8:06 am

Chimney is about 15 feet. Firebox is 16 x 16 x 9" Has cold outside air feed. If I leave the damper uncoverd but closed I can feel a cold draft hading toward it while sitting by it. My house is too small I guess. Its working so much beter now. Top is 450 and can put hand on chimney and hold it there!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 05, 2010 8:42 am

Please don't start multiple threads about the same topic. I merged the two discussions together so all the information is in one place. Thanks. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”