Saving A Fire.

Madhatter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I & II
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Pea

Post by Madhatter » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I know some think that it stinks, but I have a bag of Bituminous that I use now and then if my fire is just about dead.Is there any negative aspects to doing this? Or if I start a fire with it and then change it over to Anthracite. It has saved the day a couple times now. Oh I am burning in a Harman Mark I.

Thanks

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 11:31 pm

If it doesn't muck up your glass like wood does, I would use the Bituminous or even charcoal. When saving a fire it is all about what works safely. Wood ash flies around and charcoal produces excess amounts of ash once consumed.

Madhatter

Post by Madhatter » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 4:09 am

Thanks for the reply. Wood mucks the glass up more. May be the wood that I have is not seasoned all the way. :?

GRinRI

Post by GRinRI » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 9:22 am

I've used wood to start my stove. It will cover the glass with smoke/soot even with seasoned wood. I've thrown papers into my stove (better than any shredder) and still got black on the window. I don't think it matters if wood is seasoned or not.
While burning wood, I cover the inside of the door with aluminum foil and it works great. Two layers will be plenty. Wrap it around the edge of the door, it looks ugly but it's just a temporary setup. If you can get foil big enough to cover with one piece it'll work better. Once the wood is just embers you can take the foil off and the window will be soot free. I'm sure it will work with the bit coal too.
Fire saved, window saved, elbow grease saved.

Madhatter

Post by Madhatter » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 8:03 pm

Great trick for the glass.

Thanks.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 8:29 pm

I burn anthracite as my staple, but I burn bit. or anything else I can get my hands on. Bit does wonders to save a dying fire. Just throw a bunch on and close the top door but leave the bottom door open and in a few minutes, FIRE!! toothy DO NOT disturb the anthracite burn. I know you want to, but DON'T. Just throw the bit on top. Also if you can get some cannel coal, break some up to stove or egg size and throw that in. Cannel coal has a lower burn temp. and will do a better job of saving a dieing fire. Before you try to save a dieing fire just be aware, this will be a three beer job. :beer: P.S. I will try the aluminum foil trick as I don't like to clean glass after an extensive bit burn. :bang:

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 7:44 am

Duengeon master wrote:I burn anthracite as my staple, but I burn bit. or anything else I can get my hands on. Bit does wonders to save a dying fire. Just throw a bunch on and close the top door but leave the bottom door open and in a few minutes, FIRE!! toothy DO NOT disturb the anthracite burn. I know you want to, but DON'T. Just throw the bit on top. Also if you can get some cannel coal, break some up to stove or egg size and throw that in. Cannel coal has a lower burn temp. and will do a better job of saving a dieing fire. Before you try to save a dieing fire just be aware, this will be a three beer job. :beer: P.S. I will try the aluminum foil trick as I don't like to clean glass after an extensive bit burn. :bang:
If you use cannel coal just make sure that you wear a bullet proof vest! that stuff sends pieces in every direction. :shock: ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”