My First Pocono Ice Storm Power Outage!!!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 11:04 am

Wire in a temperature sensing switch (snap switch) on the power feed to the stoker motor. Configure the switch to sense the temperature of the stove surface and to open when the stove grows cold. A simple idea, of course I have not done it on my stoker yet, even after a few ashpans full of coal after an outage.

My understanding is that the new Royall stoker is supposed to have a sensor in the burn chamber to detect an outfire and shut the stoker off.

europachris

Post by europachris » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 11:29 am

wsherrick wrote:Excellent story. It is much the same at my house as we have Alladin Mantle Lamps (which I use even when the power is on) and the Victrola. The only other thing you needed was to have a nice Castle Waltz or some Hot Jazz playing on the old Victrola. :D
I love Aladdin lamps! I bought my Genie II back in 1989, I believe, and it's been across the country twice, still with the original twist-lok chimney. I'd love to have a few more, but I just don't have the room with all my other "toyz". They really are impressive, though, when properly set up with a good wick and mantle. Amazing amount of light (and heat), silent, and no odor when burning. I just use 1-K kero from the local gas station, it's water clear and cheap compared to that $9/gallon stuff that's prepackaged.

We had an ice storm outage here Christmas eve at 2am, and I expected to have a real problem with the lamp since I'd not lit it since last winter, and last winter I had big problems due to stale kerosene in the wick (which was just about new). I finally got it burning well (too cheap to throw out a new wick), but since it sat again all summer, I figured it was toast. Nope, lit right up and burned through a whole font of kerosene during the 14 hour outage. Subsequent lightings did experience some wick issues, but some gentle wick cleaning has it going OK for now.

I printed out a really good tip sheet on Aladdin lamp maintenance and usage, I think it was from the Aladdin lamp collectors site. Aha! Found it - it's in the "How-To" section here: http://www.aladdinlamps.info/

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 5:31 pm

europachris wrote:
Nope, the dog will live, Mike. If I pull the plug, the fire goes out within minutes. The fire literally asphyxiates itself because there is NO draft at all. If it's windy, I'll get some backdraft thru the stove and it will stink a little, but the CO alarm never even notices.

What is a PITA with these stoves is when the power goes out just long enough during the day while we are at work for the stove to go out. Then when the power comes back, the stove proceeds to empty the hopper into the ash bucket. I tried an older APC Smart UPS PRO 650, but it wouldn't run the stove, even with a big external battery. I think the UPS was bad, hence why it was being tossed at work.

Chris
Well, good to know. I was thinking about an APU, using a few marine gel cells I have laying around here from the boat. Numerically they would power the stove for a few hours, maybe I'll look into it. Right now the stove is just installed, pelletpro flu is run, and I loaded her with coal. Waiting for a warmish day to light her off and open a few windows.

-- MW

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Here are a few pictures of the Aladdin Lamp I use on my Dining Room Table

Attachments

Aladdin Lamp.JPG

Aladdin Lamp (Lincoln Drape/Moonstone Glass)

.JPG | 128.4KB | Aladdin Lamp.JPG
DSC00173.JPG

Dining Table With Aladdin Lamp

.JPG | 136.2KB | DSC00173.JPG

Lola Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak

Post by Lola Coalfire » Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Oh dear. Europachris and wsherrik, I do believe you've created a monster here with your Alladin Lamp posts. I'm infused with your enthusiasm!

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Fri. Jan. 01, 2010 10:19 am

I love Aladdin lamps, and what's best is there is a dealer a few miles from my house, who seems to like ordering in different ones just to satisfy his own curiosity... which works for me! I keep two at the house, and was casually looking for a third when this thread started mentioning them... which then caused me to lose an hour of my life on their web site looking at other models.

-- MW

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Jan. 02, 2010 7:59 am

Lola Coalfire wrote:Oh dear. Europachris and wsherrik, I do believe you've created a monster here with your Alladin Lamp posts. I'm infused with your enthusiasm!
All you need to do is go to "oillampman.com" or look on ebay. The old ones are completely parts compatible with the new ones. Many of the old ones fetch a high price as they are highly desirable collectors items.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”