Fireplace Insert Recommendation That Burns Rice Coal

rocketjeremy
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo 1CWC
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rocketjeremy » Sun. Dec. 20, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm starting to do some shopping around for an insert for my fireplace. Currently, I have just a set of doors on an open fireplace and burn wood a couple times a year more for the ambiance then the heating. I know an open fireplace like that really isn't efficient even with the doors on because they just suck all the warm out of the house. Preferably I'd put something in that burns rice coal...but I have and EFM520 doing my whole house heating and I don't know if I can get a coal insert that I can keep that "low" that I don't sweat myself out of the house...and it seems like maybe it's overkill? Although I don't mind overkill :D . So, I guess the next step for the convenience factor would be an LP insert. Only problem is I have no idea where to begin with brand, type etc.

Anybody have any recommendations on an LP insert for a fireplace or anybody out there going to try and convince me to go coal? Thanks!

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Dec. 20, 2009 5:56 pm

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Browse/Stoves.aspx?cat=inserts
coal insert.jpg
.JPG | 38.3KB | coal insert.jpg
very cool looking, great back up if a rice auger snaps. buy the bagged black shack stuff for its intermittant use for decoration purposes?????

rocketjeremy
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo 1CWC
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rocketjeremy » Sun. Dec. 20, 2009 5:58 pm

I love the look of that one! I looked at it quite often online. Do you think it would cook me out though. If I went coal I'd want something I could keep simmering and not just light once or twice a year at the holidays.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Dec. 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I love the look also. it can always be kept low....meaning thru adjusting air and draft as well as coal size! I am sure you could keep busy doing the limbo!

(how low can you go) :D 8-)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”