TLC-2000 Firebrick ?

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 8:41 am

I was wondering if the owners of the Harman TLC-2000 have any problems with their fire brick getting cracks in them. My stove was new last year and I replaced my firebrick due to cracks. The new ones I installed are Rutland brand that my Harman dealer sold me and I noticed I have cracks allready a a couple. Is this normal ?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 8:47 am

My Mark III started off brand new with a couple firebricks cracked completely in half ..... in case you don't know the story behind that ...... I picked the stove up & I had forgotten most of my tie-down straps because I left in a hurry .... long story short, I jacked on the brakes during the trip home, & the 530lb. stove flew through the air & into front of the bed at 40 mph! :lol:

Still haven't fixed them & this is season #2 with this stove. As long as you can't see the side of the stove through an opening in the brick, cracks are harmless.

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 8:49 am

Jack,
You got me curious, cause I haven't let my coal bed get low enuogh to check. But I,m going to soon. I think unless they actually fall apart, that it won't harm anything. I have been thinking that next time it's down, I may cut some narrow strips to fit in them front corners. That will also keep the bars where they belong. I had the top one slip out one end once when poking the coals.VERY HOT!!!!
Charlie

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 10:17 am

Body Hammer wrote:Jack,
You got me curious, cause I haven't let my coal bed get low enuogh to check. But I,m going to soon. I think unless they actually fall apart, that it won't harm anything. I have been thinking that next time it's down, I may cut some narrow strips to fit in them front corners. That will also keep the bars where they belong. I had the top one slip out one end once when poking the coals.VERY HOT!!!!
Charlie
Charlie,
I had the same thing happen to my bar and the first time I did it I wasn't prepared. I now have a long pair of needle nose to fish them out. :D The brick just have small cracks right now so I won't worry about them I guess. I did buy extras this time just in case. I was just wondering if it's a common place occurance. Thanks guys
Jack in Cossayuna

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 10:19 am

I recall my Mark I having cracked firebricks also, towards the end of the first season with it. This one didn't fly either ... :lol:

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 10:42 am

Jack,
In the last year, I've bought and restored a MKI and MKII to resell. They were in good shape to begin with. But both needed all the brick replaced, and the bracket that holds them in place. Neither looked like they had been abused; just normal wear. From Smitty's remarks, I'd say that's the norm.
I noticed right off the bat, that the TLC doesn't have that bracket to hold the front brick in. But when it's full of coal, it doesn't need anything, the coal keeps them in place.
I need an IR temp reader like Smittys. I have two mag gages. Put them both side by side just under the lid, and they were about 150° different!
Charlie

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”