A Possibly Stupid Question About Installing a Baro Damper

bsilver

Post by bsilver » Mon. Dec. 21, 2009 8:08 am

DVC500 at last wrote:
bsilver wrote: I did find the cat...sleeping on a chair in the basement. Figured she's closer to the floor so she is kind of a defacto canary.
Not a good gauge. CO has about the same specific gravity as 'normal' air. It can rise with a heat thermal, or drop with a cold draaft. There are still debates as to where the 'proper' location in a room is, for the CO detectors.
Really? I thought it was heavier than air, like carbon dioxide. Guess not!

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Mon. Dec. 21, 2009 11:42 am

Really? I thought it was heavier than air, like carbon dioxide. Guess not![/quote]
no, it floats in the air. when we check a house for a possible CO leak we take our probe and run along each room where the wall meets the ceiling and do a complete 360 of each room. then we check the center of the room. found a house with about 5000 ppm once in their utility room. how the house did not explode is beyond all of us

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Dec. 21, 2009 12:54 pm

GeorgiePorgie wrote:Ok Smart guys, here is a question for you :

Can any of you do the research and statistics and find out, whether more people died from carbon monoxide poisoning before the detectors were invented or after ?

I bet the answer would surprise you.

My point is : Carbon monoxide detectors are good to have, but more important use your common sense and educate yourself on the subject, the detectors are only the back-up.

The real sad point is, none of this stuff is taught in school .

These are young People right out of high school:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article ... /802100340

Here a sad common sense mistake ending in a tragedy:
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article ... -1/NEWSMAP

And many other sad news.
You figure it out.
That's all well and good but how air tight were the homes constructed before and after the invention of the CO detecter. Back when I was a child you probably could have burned wood in a 5gal bucket in the middle of the living room and never had an issue with CO.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Dec. 21, 2009 7:57 pm

LsFarm wrote: Sleeping with a CO monitor beeping is like playing Russian Roulette.

Greg L
Thanks, I just watched the movie *Deer Hunter* during this past w/e's snowstrom!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”