Shaker Grate

csimone

Post by csimone » Mon. Jan. 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Are there any Yukon-Eagle Coal Stove Owners out there? I'm having some problems with my shaker grates and would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.

I broke two stubs off of my grates and now can't shake them. Yukon-Eagle has been GREAT and is replacing them for FREE. But I would like to talk to other people that might have this problem.

italia899

Post by italia899 » Mon. Jan. 29, 2007 5:28 pm

I do not have that furnace but did quite a bit of research on it. I like the idea of having a built-in back-up for gas.

Please let us know how the furnace burns coal. Are you burning anthracite? If so, what steps are you taking when you shake and how often to your shake?

Good luck

csimone

Post by csimone » Mon. Jan. 29, 2007 6:36 pm

I don't have the dual fuel furnace. I just have the wood/coal unit. I burn anthracite and it works great! I shake twice a day and it burns great! I love the unit, a lot of $$ but well worth it. However, the shaker grates are heating up too much and breaking. It's a know problem with this unit and Yukon Eagle is working to correct it.

Tigermanrich

Post by Tigermanrich » Tue. Jan. 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Hello csimone! I do not have a Yukon, but I have a similar problem with my shaker grates. I have a Vogelzang Norseman 2500 and I broke the studs off of mine twice so far within the past 3 months. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I grounded the stud still attached on the grate and stud that was broken off down into a V and welded them to one another again. My problem is when I shake the grate the clinkers and rocks in the bituminous coal get lodged between the firebox and grate and I put a little too much force on the handle trying to break them up and it snaps right off. I thought that the studs would be a little more dorable than what they are, but I'm guessing that the heat must weaken and make them a little more fragile.

csimone

Post by csimone » Tue. Jan. 30, 2007 2:17 pm

I was told it was a bad batch made by ACME company.......I think it's a bad design. The stubs should be outside the firebox.

lourod
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: yukon eagle
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil coal wood

Post by lourod » Mon. Aug. 29, 2022 8:57 am

Grind stubs square

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Aug. 29, 2022 6:31 pm

lourod wrote:
Mon. Aug. 29, 2022 8:57 am
Grind stubs square
This thread is 15 years old. Problem likely already solved or forgotten.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”