Duravent DVL Measuring Temps and Mano

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 10:48 am

What is the best way to read temps? I have a new install (Oct. 15th 2009). Harman Mark III with Duravent DVL stove pipe. This stove pipe is double wall with the interior pipe being stainless steel. I have searched forums but not found info about this particular pipe. What would be the best way to measure stove pipe temps. All the magnetic ones state they are for single wall. The one I purchased I keep on the top of the stove and it reads around 375 degrees at 3/4 turn and and close to 600 degrees at a turn and a half.
Also, with this set up, how can I best use a manometer? I have not purchased the barometric damper and T as yet but when I do I am not sure how to measure this either considering the double wall and the stainless steel. :drunk:
Last edited by cybdav on Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 10:55 am

Congrats on your new install! the double wall stuff is great, especially for passing thru combustiables and such. the vent pipe directly off the stove and 18 inches or so to the t-ee for the baro is the place for the temp sensor or magnetic thermometer as well as the hole for a baro conection. as this is usually single wall duravent or something equal

from the baro tee a transition to double wall is wise :)

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 11:16 am

Poconoeagle wrote:the vent pipe directly off the stove and 18 inches or so to the t-ee for the baro is the place for the temp sensor or magnetic thermometer as well as the hole for a baro conection. as this is usually single wall duravent or something equal

from the baro tee a transition to double wall is wise :)
Thanks Poconoeagle and excuse my ignorance but with the thermometer how do I get an accurate temp since it is double wall and Would I not have to put the hole for the manometer all the way through the stainless steel as well?

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 10:37 pm

It is how the stainless steel inner pipe effects all this that I wonder about.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 11:07 pm

well the dual wall pipe prevents you from getting a accurate stack temp . I believe you should have a single wall pipe coming off the stove for both easy access for the manometer probe as well as a stick on thermostat. If you chose to keep a dual wall pipe right up to the appliance then you need to pierce both for the manometer and a magnetic stack thermometer becomes unusable. It wouldnt matter what the inner liner is made of.
i pics 247.jpg
.JPG | 92.9KB | i pics 247.jpg
somewhere above the magnetic thermometer you should go to your dual wall pipe thus avoiding any hassle ?? 8-)

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 7:24 am

Most people run single wall for a short period before connecting to the double wall for installation of the Baro Damper, Manometer tap and temperature reading. With a double wall, you would have to go thru both layers to get a good reading and then you can't hook up a baro or anything due to the double wall pipe.

If you look at the thread Pics of Your Stove, most do not run any double wall to the stove.

Pictures of Your Stove

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks both of you. It makes sense now. It would have helped to have spent a lot of time here before the installation.

Another question though WNY. On the Duravent website I see they have a double wall Tee with clean out cap. Can I insert a baro into this?
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Actually I will ask their tech support as well.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 10:10 pm

cybdav wrote:Thanks both of you. It makes sense now. It would have helped to have spent a lot of time here before the installation.

Another question though WNY. On the Duravent website I see they have a double wall Tee with clean out cap. Can I insert a baro into this?
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Actually I will ask their tech support as well.
NO , I spoke to the duravent rep on the phone and they have people asking for a damper to fit the double wall T , but they currently do not offer this JULY 2009, I used double duravent 6" and used the T and made a short adapter with single wall 6" and wraped a piece of galvaniged around it for the baro.

Attachments

axeman boiler 003.jpg
.JPG | 66.7KB | axeman boiler 003.jpg
130 install 001.jpg
.JPG | 88.5KB | 130 install 001.jpg

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 9:47 pm

AA130FIREMAN wrote:NO , I spoke to the duravent rep on the phone and they have people asking for a damper to fit the double wall T , but they currently do not offer this JULY 2009, I used double duravent 6" and used the T and made a short adapter with single wall 6" and wraped a piece of galvaniged around it for the baro.
Fantastic. I do appreciate the info. I'm going to have to study up a but on how exactly to adapt the single wall and wrap the galvanized but I am slowly getting the whole thing right in my mind boss. ( Ten years as an electrician and 25 years as a copier technician).

I did spend a bit of time around oil refineries and off shore oil rigs as an electrician in the 70's but have never seen anything like what you have here. Can you tell me about it a little?

cybdav

Post by cybdav » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 9:11 pm

WNY wrote:Most people run single wall for a short period before connecting to the double wall for installation of the Baro Damper, Manometer tap and temperature reading. With a double wall, you would have to go thru both layers to get a good reading and then you can't hook up a baro or anything due to the double wall pipe.
This is the response from duravent. Comments?

Yes you can install a barometic damper in the double wall tee. Follow the specifications set by the stove and buy accordingly.

You cannot mix single wall with double wall pipe.

Dale Menges
Simpson Dura-Vent
sent by PDA

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 10:46 pm

You can mate single wall to double wall pipe...
They join quite nicely, put a 5/8" hole in the outside shell...
So you can screw the inner shell to the single wall pipe...
They may not officially sanction the practice however...
For the purpose of the barometric damper...
A short section of single wall pipe with no crimp on either end...
4 to 6 inches is all you need...
However the barometric damper opening must be 18" from combustibles...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”