Am I Missing a Piece of My Hitzer Hopper?

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Sat. Dec. 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I just found a flat rectangular slab of metal that came with my Hitzer 30-95. Im wondering if that piece of metal is supposed to be laying on the firebrick
ledge at the back of the firebox.

Whenever I pour coal into the top feeder door it just falls down the slope into the burn area. THere is a small ledge back there but it does not hold much coal.

Is there supposed to be a piece of metal back there to form a ledge to hold more coal back from just falling down the slope ?

Am I missing something? I wish the color brochure gave a good illustration of exactly what is and is not in there.

Any help appreciated. I hope I have not been running my stove improperly configured.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 5:20 am

It isn't one of the pieces that holds the glass in, is it? Otherwise, I can't think of anything off hand.

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 2:25 pm

The only flat piece of steel on my 30-95 .. goes behind the fire brick that are at an angle in the back of the stove... How big is that piece of steel?

truckrp97

Post by truckrp97 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 7:04 pm

if its 4- 5 inches wide and the length of the stove, it would be an ash guard and fits at the bottom of the stove below the door.

duck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 95

Post by duck » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 9:15 pm

I agree with truckrp97, when our new Hitzer was delivered earlier this year there was a flat piece of metal just as you described laying on the grates when I got ready to fire it up. Could not for the life of me figure where it went. My wife grabbed it and put it in place below the door.

Hope you are doing well with your Hitzer we still can't believe what a difference in operation the Hitzer is compared to our previous stove. Almost like running the furnace the heat is so even. My son says the flames look like the fake fireplaces that are for sale.

smokeyCityTeacher

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 11:03 pm

duck wrote:I agree with truckrp97, when our new Hitzer was delivered earlier this year there was a flat piece of metal just as you described laying on the grates when I got ready to fire it up. Could not for the life of me figure where it went. My wife grabbed it and put it in place below the door.

Hope you are doing well with your Hitzer we still can't believe what a difference in operation the Hitzer is compared to our previous stove. Almost like running the furnace the heat is so even. My son says the flames look like the fake fireplaces that are for sale.
Truckr is right!

but I figured out what is is missing...

drum roll.. THE WHOLE HOPPER!

yeah - I just watched a youtube vid about the Hitzer and noticed a thing going across the coal bed and it dawned on me that the entire hopper is missing from mine ... its just a slope in the back

no wonder when I pour in 30$# of coal it just suffocates the burn area DOH!

How was I to know? Hitzer documentation is lacking in pictures and diagrams

Now I gotta order a hopper DOH!

smokeyCityTeacher

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 1:30 am

Floydman89 wrote:The only flat piece of steel on my 30-95 .. goes behind the fire brick that are at an angle in the back of the stove... How big is that piece of steel?
its the width of the stove and a bout 4 inches wide but it is slightly bent along the one edge like the top lip of the stove that directs the air flow down

I have not figured out where it belongs

ill post a pic tomorrow

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 8:00 am

If you bought the stove NEW from a dealer, they should give you the hopper. It is supposed to be part of the stove. Without it, you would have to front load it with coal.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”