Coal/Ash Different Areas

mplynn64

Post by mplynn64 » Thu. Dec. 10, 2009 10:16 am

Not sure how to classify this but.I recently got a load of pea coal here in Easton, PA (9.5 cents a pound)and was told it came from Hazelton . First I am not sure where the coal came from that I had as it was left for me by previous owner. What I have noticed is that the load I just got requires a touch more air flow.. Does this sound normal ?? Also notice more powder in the ash and less chunks. Which I believe is a good thing --right??

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 10, 2009 10:18 am

Hazelton coal is generally very hard hence the reason you will need more air to burn it. Usually a great product especially for hand fed.

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 3:38 pm

mplynn64 wrote:Not sure how to classify this but.I recently got a load of pea coal here in Easton, PA (9.5 cents a pound)and was told it came from Hazelton . First I am not sure where the coal came from that I had as it was left for me by previous owner. What I have noticed is that the load I just got requires a touch more air flow.. Does this sound normal ?? Also notice more powder in the ash and less chunks. Which I believe is a good thing --right??
what dealer did you get it from?sounds like you went to black diamond coal.i have had good results with his coal.
if its burning down to a powder and providing plenty of heat thats fine. :)

mplynn64

Post by mplynn64 » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 11:00 am

Yes I did get it from black diamond.. and yes it has been providing very good heat just needs more air... had some issues over the weekend and after looking and looking and looking it seems as though this coal really burns to a powder and am thinking it was clogging the shakers... so when I do shake it down I make sure the stove is as hot as possible or it wants to go out.. Any other thoughts???

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 11:32 am

mplynn64 wrote:. so when I do shake it down I make sure the stove is as hot as possible or it wants to go out.. Any other thoughts???
As you discovered, the shaking process will stir up the ash and that may well effect the fire. If your fire isn't very hot, then your draft may not be pulling as much ash up and out the chimney as you'd like or the fire needs. You may see a layer of ash on the top of your fire after shake. You'll find better results in your stove tending if before you do anything, reload or shake, the fire is burning strong with plenty of blue ladies dancing. It'll only take a minute or two with your ash door open to refresh it. Good Luck, Lisa

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 11:55 am

mplynn64 wrote:Yes I did get it from black diamond.. and yes it has been providing very good heat just needs more air... had some issues over the weekend and after looking and looking and looking it seems as though this coal really burns to a powder and am thinking it was clogging the shakers... so when I do shake it down I make sure the stove is as hot as possible or it wants to go out.. Any other thoughts???
My dad has been burning nut coal from LC&N and made the same observation about the powdery ash. The coal burns to a fine powder (almost like flour) and restricts airflow through the grates. The Kimmel's coal he burned previously produced a crunchy ash, and only needed to be shook down once per day. Since he switched to the LC&N coal, he has been gently shaking the grates twice per day. Lots of heat and no complaints, just a slightly different routine.

mplynn64

Post by mplynn64 » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I have no issue with getting it nice and hot except in the morning after a long nights sleep.. :P So I guess I need to boost it nice and high in the morning...??? and hope it gets nice and hot..

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”