Coal Bridges and Stops Firing

Ironstone

Post by Ironstone » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I have a Keystone keystoker Hopper fed coal stove. Coal burn well for 4 ot 5 hours then firing slows down and stove temp drops. Coal doesn't drop when I shake the grates. I can break it free with a poker then it fired normally foranother 5 hours. Any suggestions? I use Reading Coal - mix of pea and nut.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Ironstone wrote:I have a Keystone keystoker Hopper fed coal stove. Coal burn well for 4 ot 5 hours then firing slows down and stove temp drops. Coal doesn't drop when I shake the grates. I can break it free with a poker then it fired normally foranother 5 hours. Any suggestions? I use Reading Coal - mix of pea and nut.
Have you tried other coal?

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Coal should be ok. I used Reading coal in my hand fed without issue. What might be happening is the ashes are not shaking down well or perhaps you need to try just pea coal for a while. Any chance there is a piece of wood stuck in the hopper?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Dec. 10, 2009 7:10 am

Ironstone wrote:I have a Keystone keystoker Hopper fed coal stove. Coal burn well for 4 ot 5 hours then firing slows down and stove temp drops. Coal doesn't drop when I shake the grates. I can break it free with a poker then it fired normally foranother 5 hours. Any suggestions? I use Reading Coal - mix of pea and nut.
I had this happen with my HITZER 50-93. Coal started hanging up in the hopper. Problem was; I warped the hopper. It was my fault. I knew I was running it a little hot. Look down inside the hopper. Most likely the bottom of the hopper will be warped in a little. It doesn't take much, and the coal will hang up. Bituminous coal likes to bridge. I assume you're burning anthracite.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”