TLC 2000 What's the Highest Temp You've Seen on Yours ?

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Sat. Dec. 12, 2009 9:25 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:God , does this bring back a scary memory for me. It is so easy to walk away with the ashpan door and forget it!! When I first started burning I did, and I came back to the living room to find the thermometer on the stovetop maxxed out to 900 f, and the chimney pipe like 650f!! talk about a heart attack!! Thankfully no damage to the stove!! I did however learn my lesson since then and set my cell phone alarm every time!! In the three years since I started burning my alarm saved the same mistake like 2 more times!! Its too easy to forget that ashpan is open!
Geez, I felt just like you did and was really UPSET at myself because I knew better and last year used the egg timer all the time. I was lucky with no damage to my stove as well. Lesson learned.

oldwhisky

Post by oldwhisky » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 9:59 am

I've run my vigilant II up to 800 and regularly have stack temps past 400 when I have the air all on, when reloading. I burn bituminous and I like to burn hot when I pour the coal in or I get flashbacks from the gasses. It's minus 40 here in Alberta this morning I'll be running my stove in the high 600s into the 700s. I think it's pretty hard to ruin a newer stove since the are safety approved and probably can burn twice the temp their rated.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 9:21 pm

oldwhisky wrote:I've run my vigilant II up to 800 and regularly have stack temps past 400 when I have the air all on, when reloading. I burn bituminous and I like to burn hot when I pour the coal in or I get flashbacks from the gasses. It's minus 40 here in Alberta this morning I'll be running my stove in the high 600s into the 700s. I think it's pretty hard to ruin a newer stove since the are safety approved and probably can burn twice the temp their rated.
Holy smokes !!!!! -40 degrees I am not going to complain here then. I get some 20-30 below in Winter but that's it. Is your stove designed to run on the bituminous ?
Jack

GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 9:54 pm

My stoker approached 900 with no damage, but I don't want it to happen again ! it used to run normal between 400 to 500
My smaller one runs normally a little above 350.

oldwhisky

Post by oldwhisky » Mon. Dec. 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Jack. Yeah the vigilant II will burn both anthracite, bituminous and wood . I'm a newbee this winter to burning wood or coal. The vigilant seems to do the job well for me with 12 plus hours on a load of bit ,burning at a minimum of 400 deg. I can get logs to last quite a while with it too. It's minus 32 here as I write.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 9:59 pm

oldwhisky wrote:Hi Jack. Yeah the vigilant II will burn both anthracite, bituminous and wood . I'm a newbee this winter to burning wood or coal. The vigilant seems to do the job well for me with 12 plus hours on a load of bit ,burning at a minimum of 400 deg. I can get logs to last quite a while with it too. It's minus 32 here as I write.
:shock: I love ice fishing BUT those temps are more than my bones can endure., :D Thanks for the input.
Jack

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”