Question in Reference of the Blower on My LCC

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Mon. Dec. 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Last year, I didn't use my blower since I really didn't need it. Tonight the temps are in the mid 20's and quite cold out. I noticed my son's room in the far corner away from the stove was 70.2, a little cooler than the rest of the house, but my wife was worried. My stove temp on the pipe was at 350 F and I turned the blower on the lowest setting, the room where the stove is warmed up very nicely, but I noticed my stove temp on the pipe went down to 325 F after about 1/2 an hour. The temp in the basement was at 78 and now is at 83, the rest of the upstairs is at a comfortable 72, not sure how long it will take the heat to rise up to the upstairs.

Will the blower affect the stove pipe temp? Should I run it a little hotter when I use the fan? Just a newbie with some ?s. lol

dan

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Dan I have that same stove and have had the blower running nonstop for so long I forgot at first, but absolutely yes! it will burn hotter, and have higher flue temp with the blower off, because the blower is actually washing a lot of extra heat off the stove that holds that flue temp up when its not running. Most of that heat is coming off the top of the stove right off the flue gases radiating through 1/4 steel plate. I personally have such a large drafty area to heat I always need it running but you can expect a considerable difference between the two.
Also couple other thoughts... first if you burn wood in that or really crank it with coal you might consider using the blower more. The design of that stove is such that the blower will make it last longer and not burn out through the top above the smoke shelf as quickly (the 1/4 in. plate I mentioned). if that ever DOES happen then the stove is pretty much shot... unless you know a welder that doesn't mind workin on that filthy stuff.
I installed a variable speed on mine so that when I don't really need all that blowing heat I can reduce the blower rate AND NOISE, and still "wash" the stove of its heat. I think it really helps keep the top plate section I referred to much cooler and will make the stove last a lot longer.

One more thing about that blower. motors are expensive and the original equipment on mine has lubricating holes at either end of the motor housing on top. Many of these little motors don't have those holes. Take it from me. if you have them, use them. a few drops of oil in those with a good flexi oil can every month (many oils come with their own neat little dispensers now) will keep that motor going as long as YOU! last I priced a little motor like that new it was over 70 bucks for the cheapest thing available, and some run over a buck.
Happy burning. Thats a great stove. I burn several cord of firewood and couple ton of stove coal in mine every year.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”