Setting My Draft on Hitzer 82 Ul

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Dec. 05, 2009 10:23 pm

got stove back in october set it up in basement near stairs made cabinet for it and hooked up to duct work was not impressed so went back to just leaving basement door open and letting heat rise up stair well . seems to work better . I just set my baro by what I have been reading here on forum . the baro I got doesn't have settings or numbers just a wieght to screw in and out . every thing was working great lots ove heat . face ove stove was reading 300 - 375 depending on what I set dial at . stack temp 1 foot from stove before baro read 200 . got manometer checked draft 1 foot from stove before baro it read .02 played with baro could only get it to change to .03 . now temp readings are about the same but it doesn't feel like it is throwing as much heat and is burning more coal . is .02 weak or strong draft don't know how numbers work with draft .

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Dec. 05, 2009 11:41 pm

.02 is a weaker draft than .03. The big zero on this manometer scale is no pressure so if this manometer was calibrated properly, connected to a flue and reading zero the chimney is not drafting. If your chimney draft is at .02 and stays there and never falls to zero, you're good to go but I would say .02 is a little on the weak side as far as average chimney draft goes.
Hope this helps.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Dec. 06, 2009 8:58 am

looking for a little advise please

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 06, 2009 9:23 am

WHEN are you setting it? Full BURN? If its only idling or 1/2 burning, your draft will be lower in the .02-.03 range.
Full burn should be .04-.06 . That is where the baro should be set around the .04-.06 range.

Yes, 0 IS NO DRAFT, .04 is stronger than .02, etc...the HIGHER the draft, the HIGHER the number.

How tall is your chimney? How warm is it outside? That all effects the draft.
The draft will change when you burning it hotter and when it gets colder outside. SO, once you set your baro damper, it should automatically regulate due to burning temps and outside temps.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Dec. 06, 2009 10:05 am

set baro at just after recharged stove . stove temp at about 350 stack at 200 between stove and baro . outside temp in the 40's . chimney is brick with no liner 8 -12 inside dimension 28 feet tall . stove is in drafty old basement rubblestone foundation . doesn't seem to give as much heat as it did when first set up could just be my imagination but when I stood at the top of my stairs before you could feel the heat hit you in the face but now it seems much less . like I said it could be my imagination .

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Dec. 06, 2009 1:28 pm

checked draft again after recharge then let it settle down . draft was .03 . I normally run the dial on the load door open 1 turn but just to see if I could change the draft I closed it up . draft went to .04 . will try running it open a crack . my question isn't so much my draft but heat out put and coal consumption. maybe I souldn't have ever touched it like the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it .

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Dec. 06, 2009 7:03 pm

just wanted to move to the top of the page to see if I could get feed back

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”