Sulfur Smell When Reloading...

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Tue. Dec. 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Tell your wife if it bothers her too much then do it herself when she and the kids get up. I used to do it every morning when I got up around 6:30 AM. Didn't seem to bother anyone. My stove was on the first floor and my daughter's bedroom was above it with our bedroom at the other end of the house on the 2nd floor.

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 7:38 am

It bothered my wife as well, so she does the morning shakedown. With the colder temps now, she may have to incorporate a re-load of the hopper into her duties. :D

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 9:50 am

I get it too, also I think it varies by coal too, blaschak doesn't seem to do it as much as superior if I remember right. The unknown stuff I use to buy didnt have much smell either.

newkdd

Post by newkdd » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 3:46 pm

I had a small stoker installed in my finished basement last November (08) so I am still a rookie. However, the only time I ever smelled sulphur was outdoors after reload. Never, ever in the house. I have not noticed anything yet this year either. I live on top of a mountain and my chimney has excellent draft. Also, my flue is dedicated to the stove. It is not shared with the boiler. I would have a licensed HVAC pro re-check the chimney and make absolutely certain the CO detectors are functioning properly. If I got sulpher smell in the house consistently my wife would make me sleep in the van, so I would not be using the stove.

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 10, 2009 9:03 am

as mentioned before, type of coal might play a big role. last year, my first year, I burned blaschack. got a little of the smell, not bad. now im burning a 3 and a half ton pile I got for free off of craigslist. no idea what brand it is. wow, if I don't close the feed door right away it stinks. even outside you can smell it, twenty minutes after I ve closed everything down

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”