Gibraltar CFI

grayliner

Post by grayliner » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 11:49 am

Hi folks, hope all is well. I'm a rookie who need some advice:
I recently installed a Gibraltar CFI insert inherited from a good neighbor. I have no prior experience with coal burning, so I used info from this site to bring me this far. I have met all clearance requirements according to the manual (which I found through this forum..Thanks!) It is vented with SS flex liner up to first flue tile, with insulation packed around that. Needed an adapter boot to accomplish this as the appliance flue was square and flush with no flue collar. Anyway, I fired it up with nut coal and was astounded at the amount of heat this thing kicks out. It heated my entire first and 2nd floors. But I am concerned about one thing. The granite tiles I installed as a surround on top of the unit got burning hot! These tiles continue up until they come in to contact with the first piece of wood trim, which is at least 18 in from the top of the stove. The trim itself is not hot, nor is the mantel above it, but the tile coming into contact with the trim is hot enough that you need to remove your hand after a few seconds. The only tiles that get hot like that are the ones directly above the insert. I only ran for one day, discovered this, and ceased operation. I am new to coal burning, so I don't know if this is to be expected, or if I need to make further modifications. I appreciate any advice. I will not operate stove until I'm satisfied there is nothing wrong. Will post pictures ASAP. Thanks.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Does it have a blower or anything? Maybe put a small fan on top/back to move the heat around.

or put a small sheet metal shroud on the top of the stove to direct the heat away from mantle/tiles and/or add a fan & Shroud to circulate the heat from the top of the stove.

That is how most of our stoker stoves work, there is 2 layers on the back/top of the stove and the blower moves the air in that channel to keep the back/top of the stove more even temps and cooler while moving the hot air into the room.

cf1

Post by cf1 » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 1:25 pm

I too have a gibralter insert, you will love it. I have the metal surround around the insert and it too gets hot. my mantel stays cool. as for tile it wont burn and as long as the mantel don't get hot I wouldnt worry. just crank it up and enjoy the heat....

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”