wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 4:17 pm

See :!: I told you so, didn't I ;)

Dr Cherry

Post by Dr Cherry » Sun. Dec. 13, 2009 5:00 pm

wsherrick wrote:See :!: I told you so, didn't I ;)
I'm hooked. :D

Dr Cherry

Post by Dr Cherry » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 11:06 am

I cleaned the stove last night and found a lever I hadn't noticed before.

There are two exits at the back of my firebox at either side and this lever closes one of them. I assume they both go to the same place but why would I close one of them? It's weighted and either open or closed, there's no way to stop it partially open.

It's been open this whole time.

What is it?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 11:28 am

One makes the exhaust path longer for more heat output...
The other is shorter for startup and refills...

Dr Cherry

Post by Dr Cherry » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 11:32 am

CapeCoaler wrote:One makes the exhaust path longer for more heat output...
The other is shorter for startup and refills...
That makes sense. It should be a bit easier to start with it closed. Excellent. :idea:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Guess what :!: You have a baseburner. Baseburners are the most efficient of all coal stoves. If you haven't looked at the thread about the Glenwood Baseburner I just put in my house please do so if you wish. There are basically two draft modes: direct draft for starting the fire and when you are shaking and reloading and Baseburning mode. Baseburning mode recirculates the exhaust down around and under the stove so the most heat possible can be extracted from the fire. Spend time experimenting and learning the nuances of your stove as you use it. LIke I said to you earlier, you will not trade this stove for a modern stove, no way, no how, once you come to know it well. You should be justly proud of your stove.

Dr Cherry

Post by Dr Cherry » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 4:41 pm

wsherrick wrote:Guess what :!: You have a baseburner. Baseburners are the most efficient of all coal stoves. If you haven't looked at the thread about the Glenwood Baseburner I just put in my house please do so if you wish. There are basically two draft modes: direct draft for starting the fire and when you are shaking and reloading and Baseburning mode. Baseburning mode recirculates the exhaust down around and under the stove so the most heat possible can be extracted from the fire. Spend time experimenting and learning the nuances of your stove as you use it. LIke I said to you earlier, you will not trade this stove for a modern stove, no way, no how, once you come to know it well. You should be justly proud of your stove.
This explains a lot. There's a compartment under the ash tray and I'm betting hot gas/air circulates down there when the "baseburning" mode is enabled. There was a dead bird down there when I got it home. :o

I guess I ought to make sure all the passages are open. This is great info thanks! I'll check out your baseburner post ASAP.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”