Professional Coal Stove Installers in Worcester Mass Area

newtocoalinnortheast

Post by newtocoalinnortheast » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 4:22 am

Does anyone know of a professional in the Worcester area who installs coal stoves?We bought a Chubby coal stove and would like to have someone install it but need to be someone who is licensed as a construction supervisor because that is what is called for on the building permit. One chimney sweep does install these but I know that they insist on lining our chimney all the way to the top, which is expensive, and since we have a terra cotta lining isn't really necessary. And should we be only looking for masons and chimney sweeps to install, or could a carpenter do this? If you know of anyone please let me know. Thanks.
CT

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 7:06 am

Just a bit of guidance , terrat cotta does have the likely hood of deterioriation over the years based on many factors. Age, Water infiltration , inside the home chimney or outside the home chimney.

ChipontheCape

Post by ChipontheCape » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 7:26 am

Hey newto,

I ran into the same issue a year ago, when I wanted to install a woodstove in my fireplace - my coal stove's in the basement. When I asked, the sweep explained that it applied to all types of solid fuel appliances. Check the Code on Mass.gov . That's what the building code now requires. If you're looking for masons & sweeps, check out CSIA. Most of the knowledgeable firms belong to it. Search for "chimney" on Craigslist. I saw an ad a couple of weeks ago for a 6" x 30' ss liner, that someone decided to quit on. He was asking $400 obo. If Xmas wasn't so close, I would have chased it. Good luck!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 8:38 am

newtocoalinnortheast wrote:One chimney sweep does install these but I know that they insist on lining our chimney all the way to the top, which is expensive, and since we have a terra cotta lining isn't really necessary.
They insist because it is the most profitable part of their business. As a professional, he should know that it is not required for coal using a terra cotta liner. I would offer him the work minus the liner. If he doesn't want the work he is probably not the person you want working on your home anyway. When profit is more important than customer satisfaction, you have to wonder.

If you do talk to him again, ask him why he insists on protecting something that will last virtually forever, with something that at the very best will last maybe 30 years or so. I don't claim to be a pro, but I have been playing with this stuff since the '70s and I cannot understand the rush to liners. The only answer that keeps coming back is quick, easy profit. And a lot of it.

The only time a liner is required is when the tiles are cracking or breaking down. This does not occur from using coal. It is either from poor construction and or materials or improper maintenance allowing water into the chimney's structure. If your chimney is in good shape, there is no reason for a liner other than his bottom line.

newtocoalinnortheast

Post by newtocoalinnortheast » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 10:44 am

Well, the chimney sweep didn't even look up into the chimney, he said it did not matter, because they always line the chimneys. The way I read the code, I do not think it is in the MA code that a chimney have to have a ss liner, just that it be lined (like terra cotta), and that the venting pipe reach the chimney lining. The sweep said they line the chimney to the top for ease in cleaning, they just clean down the ss lining and won't have to clean around it, which does make a little sense, but if one can't afford that, I don't see why they can't line it according to code minimums as well. Also, I was under the impression that the terra cotta linings lasted a long time as opposed to ss liners that need to be replaced more often.
Thanks,
CT

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 8:54 pm

The only time they require a liner is if you have a chimney like mine -- unlined, with less than 2" to combustibles.

I still don't have a liner! :D

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Nov. 28, 2009 8:12 pm

I have a tile line masonary chimney installed 28 years ago. The tile liner looks like the day I installed it. I did insist the mason use refractory cement at every joint even though he argued it was unecessary. He is long gone an my chimney performs like new, also note I had mineral insulation poured in between the clay tile and the masonary to insure a good draft. Not too bad for a 23 year old homeowner that did not know what he was talking about. :!: I am glad I stuck to my guns and did not listen to a mason that did not research what he did as a living :lol: .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”