Does Smaller Coal Size Allow Lower "Idle" Temperatures

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:30 am

It would be nice to be able to find a setting on my stove where Im idling it at the lowest possible burn rate and still have it under control w/out going out.

Is it true that smaller coal size allows you to run it at a lower output/consumption rate ?

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:40 am

Yes it does or it worked for me in a hand fired furnace.
I mixed nut and pea to slow it some and in very cold I mixed nut and stove coal (potato size almost) and it seemed hotter.
Nut worked best all round for me.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:48 am

Sure, logic says if there isn't as much air space between the burning matter, it can't flame excessively.
How do you stop a fire? Smother it!
Same is true for wood or coal, less oxygen available to support the fire, the smaller the fire will be.

That is why you will read that most folks who run hand feed products have a few sizes of coal available to them at home.
This does not pertain to stoker folks; however for those who burn pea, and change to buckwheat, adjustments to air supply are in order. AA's and AHS's don't have air adjustments, so they are kinda engineered for the best case situation from day one. Rice coal does not function well in either of those stokers.
Likewise, Leisure, Alaska, Harman all like rice best, Keystoker however is not so fussy and can run on either,

Remember, you can't make it perfect, but by understanding the logic, you can alter or better control the burn characteristics. It's like folks who 'train their cat'.......ain't happin', Jethro. Learning to live with it is a safer approach.

Hope you have a pleasant day with family and friends......... :dancing: :up: :angel:

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 8:19 am

As a Pea burner and 14 year Nut burner I can testify as to it's ability to just "Idle" . I can put my hand on top of the stove most times (during day when Idled down good) . But to get more heat you need to open the air intakes earlier allowing extra time for it to come up.
I know now the setting I like for night time,day time temp's,etc. so I go along smoothly. If I'm in a hurry what I'll do is shake it some,open bottom door,open the MPD or shut your Baro off then stand nearby the stove to catch it before it gets out of control. Just because Pea will idle down doesn't mean it won't melt everything nearby when out of control. I know this from experience. Also in the morning I'll get it going good while cleaning around the stove and basement then top it off the day insuring the red coal bed is kept alive and well.
As stated many times by me I love the Pea for those reasons plus no jams and easier to shovel.
You have to have a good drafting chimney and a well made Coal stove to help you achive these results. I have both.

Cheers

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 8:36 am

Looks like I have some experimentation ahead.

thanks
captcaper wrote:As a Pea burner and 14 year Nut burner I can testify as to it's ability to just "Idle" . I can put my hand on top of the stove most times (during day when Idled down good) . But to get more heat you need to open the air intakes earlier allowing extra time for it to come up.
I know now the setting I like for night time,day time temp's,etc. so I go along smoothly. If I'm in a hurry what I'll do is shake it some,open bottom door,open the MPD or shut your Baro off then stand nearby the stove to catch it before it gets out of control. Just because Pea will idle down doesn't mean it won't melt everything nearby when out of control. I know this from experience. Also in the morning I'll get it going good while cleaning around the stove and basement then top it off the day insuring the red coal bed is kept alive and well.
As stated many times by me I love the Pea for those reasons plus no jams and easier to shovel.
You have to have a good drafting chimney and a well made Coal stove to help you achive these results. I have both.

Cheers

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 8:53 am

My rig varies a bit on conditions - it works great at 70* stopped down to quarter turn. It will last for a couple days, particularly with pea. How low you go will be more a function of your chimney than your stove.

One thing I've noticed is that we use the same vent settings at different temps. The way I figure, as it gets colder the draw increases (in/out temp delta) and it 'automatically' generates more heat. My settings today (52*) are about what I'll use at 30*. It's almost self-tending.

That said, this is simple stuff. Pea will not produce the max heat of nut, but will stretch the burn longer and probably feed better through the bin. You'll know in a week what works for you...

- Charlie

acesover

Post by acesover » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 9:02 am

I burn nothing but pea until it gets cold, then go with a mix (called range) of nut & pea depending on the temps.
Ray

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 10:25 am

acesover wrote:I burn nothing but pea until it gets cold, then go with a mix (called range) of nut & pea depending on the temps.
Ray
Me, too. Burning pea during early NOV lets me idle the Harmon; keeping the house warm for not a lot of money or attention. Come Thanksgiving and colder weather I switch to range and I find it offers the best of both sizes for a normal winter day. My average daily temp is 27*. I'll burn more nut if it's particularly cold for a couple of days and I'll burn just pea if I'm heading out for a day or two. I've had a lot of luck doing that. Lisa

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”