Creating Viewing Glass Window Air Wash

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:13 am

My daughter has recently bought a used but sturdy old Harmann hearth hero. It was built in the day before the door window had a air wash to keep it clean from deposits. I am wondering if anyone would like to brainstorm as to how to create a window air wash on this stove. My intitial idea is to use pump alignment metal shimssto creat the gap around the window and brass frame bolts to allow some air infiltrations without over torqueing the bolts to break the fireglass and with adequate shims for suitable bearing. Any brainstorming would be appreciated. A new door is not feasible as hinge configurations are different.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 1:55 pm

I once thought about putting a slide air vent for directing air below the glass on my HITZER. When shaking the stove, the fly ash would have a film of air between it, and the glass. After tending, i'd close the slide vent. Or, maybe a piece of black iron pipe, with holes drilled along it's lenghth. Run it through the stove, just below the glass. Put a pipe cap on each end. Pull one cap off when tending the stove. For continuous air wash, you can have multiple pipe caps, with different size holes drilled in the caps. This way you can experiment. This would keep the glass cleaner, longer. Many things you can do. Keep us informed.

stonyloam

Post by stonyloam » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:49 pm

I just went to a lot of trouble to add gaskets to prevent an air wash on my VC Vigalant door glass. :D The glass stayed clean but the stove was not very efficient. It is little enough trouble to give the glass a quick wipe with a dry paper towel to remove fly ash.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 9:48 pm

stonyloam wrote:I just went to a lot of trouble to add gaskets to prevent an air wash on my VC Vigalant door glass. :D The glass stayed clean but the stove was not very efficient. It is little enough trouble to give the glass a quick wipe with a dry paper towel to remove fly ash.
I agree with stonyloam. If I were to revamp my stove with air wash for glass, I'd only use it at tending time. When shaking my grates, I can see the fly ash comming up against the glass of my HITZER stoves. If I don't run the poker down through the coals before shaking, it's not a big deal. But, most of the time I do.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 6:07 pm

I was told in another thread that some Harman stoves do not have the a gasket at the bottom of the glass for this reason.

Richard

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”