Need the Measurements of Harman Mark 2 Ash Pan

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Need the measurements of a Harman Mark 2 ash pan. The stove I have here is missing the ash pan, I want to see if I can find anything to work or possibly make one. This has the 6" pipe on top, maybe its a old model, the ones on the website show the pipe in the back. Grates seems very straight and other than paint this is built like a tank. Also, I was going to replace all the firebrick so searching on the web I found (local) Ace Hardware sells the standard size bricks. Price isn't the greatest but found a coupon good only for this Saturday which is 50% off any item under $30 on Slickdeals.net. Me and the wife will get a pack of 6 bricks each, should be enough to redo the entire lining.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 8:15 pm

This is your lucky day. My husband recently measured ours so Freddy could make me a cover for our Mark II ashpan. The cover he made fits perfectly.

The ash door opening is 18 inches long by 4 1/2 inches high and the pan is 17 5/8 long by 10 7/8 wide. The pan is 3 inches high. Obviously, the pan is tight to the left and right going in and out of the door. There is 1 1/2 inch from the top edge of the pan to the top of the ash pan opening when the pan is setting on the bottom edge of the opening. The pan goes in and then drops down. When the pan is pushed in all the way to the back of the stove there are 2 inches between the front edge of the pan and the ashpan door.

I hope it helps. Lisa

mozz

Post by mozz » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you. I haven't taken out the tape measure yet. They do sell them at the dealers I guess and I happened to find a price online for ASH PAN $ 35.29 (not to buy, a price list) so I am guessing they are going to be in that neighborhood.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 10:10 pm

mozz wrote:....This has the 6" pipe on top, maybe its a old model, the ones on the website show the pipe in the back.......
Just an FYI : when I bought my Mark III they gave me a choice of top or rear vent.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 5:28 am

mozz wrote:Thank you. I haven't taken out the tape measure yet. They do sell them at the dealers I guess and I happened to find a price online for ASH PAN $ 35.29 (not to buy, a price list) so I am guessing they are going to be in that neighborhood.
I expect they do sell them at the dealer but the quality isn't that good. My pan is thin tin, has warped and is kind of flimsy, I've been thinking of replacing it. I try to up add one improvement each year; this year it was a mounted Manometer. Next year, unless something else comes up, it will be the new ashpan. I am so happy with the ashpan cover Freddy made me I'll ask him again and see if he will make the new ashpan. Even if it's a little more the quality is well worth the price. Good luck, Lisa

mozz

Post by mozz » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 9:19 am

Does anyone know the gasket sizes? The top door seems to be 1/2" while the ash door looks thicker, maybe 3/4". You are right about the ash pan, the opening isn't really that big then it has to drop down so 3 1/2" max on the height. If I find anything in my travels that works, I will post a picture.

EDIT found the sizes,
1/2" ROUND ROPE GASKET PER FT. (Load Door 6' - Ash Door 5')
5/8" CHANNEL GASKET PER FT. (Glass - 2')
Last edited by mozz on Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 10:14 am

If you twist my arm I'd build a pan for you, but it's be close to $50 by the time it was in your hands. Shipping is a killer from here. The big difference between the factory ones & the ones I build is: I "hem" the top edges, it makes them not sharp and much sturdier. Also I spot weld the corners and handles so they're very solid. I'm not sure how I'd do the handles, especially if you wanted a cover, and a cover would be another $30 or so.

Lisa.... How are you lifting yours when the cover is on it?

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 10:47 am

Getting it out of the stove is not a problem because of the lip the pan's handle folds down on to. I slide the cover on and then using my trusty welder’s gloves I lift on that lip and pull it up. Once the pan is setting on the edge of the opening I grab both sides and take it out. The pan isn't really that hot. Come to think about it I didn't even realize there wasn't a handle for taking the pan out of the stove. It just works.

My only problem is that sometimes when sliding the cover on the lid falls into place unexpectedly, producing a cloud of flyash. Not much I can do about that given the space and my lack of coordination. (There's a reason I wasn't named Grace :)) I have learned to have my wet/dry vac on and in the general area of the ash pan's door. That way if I'm surprised, the vac takes care of the flyash.

Despite this one drawback, not the cover's fault, I am extremely thrilled at the reduction in flyash the cover has made. Between it and better stove tending discipline I'm a happy camper. I'll talk to you in the spring about a replacement ash pan. Right now my money is going to spur of the moment trips to NYC. :D Have a great holiday! Lisa

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 2:56 pm

mozz wrote:Does anyone know the gasket sizes? The top door seems to be 1/2" while the ash door looks thicker, maybe 3/4". You are right about the ash pan, the opening isn't really that big then it has to drop down so 3 1/2" max on the height. If I find anything in my travels that works, I will post a picture.

EDIT found the sizes,
1/2" ROUND ROPE GASKET PER FT. (Load Door 6' - Ash Door 5')
5/8" CHANNEL GASKET PER FT. (Glass - 2')
I used 2 5/8in kits from Lowes..Clear Gasket cemet made installing a breeze and the kits are very resonably priced. This gives me a good seal.

channing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III 21yrs
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by channing » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 8:34 pm

1/2" round gasket and the gasket cement . don't stretch the gasket when you put it in. Don't bunch it up but don't stretch it. I do gaskets once a year it's a very important part of the stove for good control.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”