Hello/ New Member

crocker

Post by crocker » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks again for all the response here ,I am taken it all in , Yes I am getting the feel for the stove at this point , although I have not found a thermometer yet Ive been checking the temp with ny infrared temp gun I have as of now I am finding 375 - 425 F is a very comfy temp range for my house at this point with a 32-45 outside ambient temp, But if some one could reccomend a thermometer that is somewhat accurate and has a decent life span I would welcome the info. after all that was explained here to me and doing live test on Nut and Pea and Mix now , I think I will be picking up both , the dealer in my area does carry both sizes in bulk , I believe she said Blachek coal is what they have rite now and also carry another brand just slips , mind rite now ,but the dealer tells me they only buy what they feel is good quality .thanks again for all the response and help, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and ask for a magnetic temperature gage for a wood stove it will be mostly round with a temp gage printed on it and you will just stick it on the stove. I have two one for the stove and one for the stove pipe so I can keep an eye on the exhaust temps also.

crocker

Post by crocker » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 7:16 pm

thanks for that , I will check them out and grab one or two good idea on keeping a eye on pipe temps /

packard bill
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machine and homebuilt
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco-Belge
Coal Size/Type: Nut,pea

Post by packard bill » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Not to be repititous, nut or pea is fine. When I want to insure a 12 hr burn in my boiler I mix nut and pea 50/50. In the dead of winter, and someone is home, it's all nut, especially when using all 3 zones(1st and 2nd floor of house and 3 bay garage) recovery is faster.
PACKARDS and CROCKERS... 2 SWEET RIDES!

crocker

Post by crocker » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 8:32 pm

not at all welcome all the knowledge here , and I am going with the nut and coal mix solution ,its seem to be a winning combo, And yes Packards and Crockers are 2 sweet rides ,well made and ahead of there time

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Crocker,

Just for you information if you overheat you magnetic thermometers the magnet will loose it's strength and fall off the stove. The numbers will get hard to read also. Has me how I know? :oops: You would have to give them a real hot picnic. 900 degrees or hotter :shock:
Last edited by cokehead on Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Or if you have a 304 stainless connector pipe ... but the magnet still works ...... just not on this. ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”