Burning Wood in Coal Stove ?

msdan

Post by msdan » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 5:38 pm

hi all, just about done with my install ( Harman mark II ) This is my first year burning coal, and have got a lot of help from this forum, so thanks to all ! my question - is it ok to burn wood,( It says coal only on instructions) as it is still in the 50's here in ohio. will I have to clean it out before I switch to coal ? thanks

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 6:18 pm

msdan wrote: my question - is it ok to burn wood,( It says coal only on instructions) as it is still in the 50's here in ohio. will I have to clean it out before I switch to coal ? thanks
You should be fine burning wood in a Mark II. As I understand it the stove doesn't meet the current EPA emission requirements placed on a certified wood stove so they can't market it as dual fuel appliance... but wood should burn just fine in it.

About cleaning out it out before switching to coal? Lots of folks get their coal fires going with wood fires so cleaning the actual stove out before switching over isn't necessary. When you're ready, just pile some coal on top of the existing wood fire and it will catch. Do this slowly, layer by layer, making sure each layer is fully ignited before adding another. I'd crack the ash pan door a little or open the air intake valve 1.5 turns. Get a timer so you won't forget the door's open!

I would be a little concerned if you burn enough wood to developed a build up of creosote in either the chimney or stove itself. The heat from a coal fire may ignite that and it could be unpleasant. It's the reason I never burn wood in my Mark II. I just don't need the complication. Lisa

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 6:26 pm

I have burned many cords of wood in my Mark II. Be sure to clean the chimney and stove pipe if you choose to burn wood on a regular basis.

klinker

Post by klinker » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Like superbeetle I burn wood in my Marc II also...in fact I'm burning wood right now. I was told if you burn a cord or more of wood a year it's a good idea to have the chimney cleaned. The Harman Marc II burns wood quite well but I'll switch to the coal once the weather gets colder.

channing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III 21yrs
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by channing » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 8:38 pm

I burn 5 cords a year in my Mark III and a ton of coal. Watch that chimmny build up. Bad gaskets will cause the stove to flare up and puff back so watch for that. New gaskets every year!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”