US Hot Blast Furnace 1557

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 11:51 am

I sniffed around Hitzers web site, that is a hopper fed furnace. And a nice one. It's built by the Amish so I would bet an extremly good unit. The Firebox is huge, thats what threw me off. :oops:

laynes69

Post by laynes69 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 12:02 pm

I'll tell you that the US Stoves firebox ain't worth a damn. I have quit burning coal until I get a new unit. My dad has a stove like the hitzer there made locally by the amish, and if you want a clean burn with wood, you better burn it hot. His doesn't seem to produce a clean burn at all, and his chimney is always clogging with seasoned wood. As far as coal, I think thats more what it was made for. When you get that thing fired, give me some pointer I can relay to dad. One thing I will say is with that design, those things produce a long burn with wood. Its just like a hopper.

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 1:25 pm

The sloped fire brick on the side is where the flue gas exits. Their is what
i would call a bi-pass damper. They call it a direct damper. Whne you're burning the flue exits next to the fire. Whenj you open the feed door you have to move the direct damper to the open postion. This will make the flu gas be draw from the top of the stove. Its bacically a reburn system.

The grates are acully quite heavy. The stove is built like a tank mcompared to the Hot Blast. I just open the door to take a peek and she's cranking away.

I still need to do a little more sheet metal work to get good air distrabution thoughout the house.

They say you can burn wood in it, but its realy designed to burn coal.

laynes69

Post by laynes69 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 1:29 pm

How much coal will it take? I know with wood the one dad has it needs a way to incorporate secondary air in the reburn chamber. When you are burning coal, do you have your air going into the side chamber?

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 2:07 pm

I hold about 130 pounds.

The air enters the bottom though an open thats contolled by a Dial Heat Regulaor. There are two draft louvers that diect the air up through th coal. There is a spin damper on hte feed door. They suggest opening just a little. I've got it open about a turn and a half. Does not have the same effect as the damper on the Hot Blast. If you open it on the Hot Blast it would kill the fire. This stove has no effect. Probably because of where the flue gas exits the fire.

The 82 FA is configured a little different than the 82. Most likly becaucse of the air jacket. The side opening your talking about is on the back of the 82FA.

I can just tell by the way this thing burns that I'm going to very happy with it. I run it for a couple of days and then start tinkering with it.

:) Don

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Dirvine, the fire gasses go out the side of the firebox where the sloped firebrick is.. What happens if you load coal deep enough to cover this opening?? Is there a mention in the owners/opperating manual about this??

Is this a hopper-feed furnace?? or do you shovel coal in the front door??

What is the metal piece with an angled 'vent' or covered opening in the back left corner of the firebox?? is this where the Hopper feeds coal to the firebox or is this an air vent??

Curious..curious... different designs are interesting.

Greg

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 7:15 pm

I was told to fill the fire box up to the top. The flue gases draw throught the coal. When the coal burns down a little I'll take a pic so you can see. I'm not really sure what the piece of metal in the back is. I'll try to find out and let ya know.

Don

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi Don, I'm glad you are already pleased with the Hitzer furnace. How is the heat output compared to the 'hotblast' ??

Do you load the firebox by hand with a shovel or bucket or is there a hopper you fill that feeds the firebox??

That DEEP square sided firebox is optimum for burning coal.. The side-vent flue is interesting, I'll be interested to hear if the fire burns evenly all the way across the coal bed.

Greg L

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2007 10:45 pm

The stove is hand fed. I use a shovel. Below is pic of the box loaded. The flash makes it look like it not burning. Its burning very well. Its hard to tell, but it is an even burn. The vent is just below the top of the coal.
As for the output. It puts out much better than the Hot Blast. When I woke this morning it was 2 degree out and the house was 65 degrees. I only had a half to 3/4 of a load and I still had not hooked up all of the sheet metal. I'm getting about a 50 degree delta tee through the stove. That with the return air not completed.

I've got a high flu temp. About 350 degree. As soon as I get the sheetmetal done I'll start messing with it and try to get that stack temp down.

Attachments

100_1360.jpg
.JPG | 249.5KB | 100_1360.jpg

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Mon. Jan. 22, 2007 9:47 am

Last night I closed the flu pipe damper just about all the way. When I woke up this mourning I still had a real strong fire and my stove temp was about 425 degrees. My stack temp was 250 Degrees. I refueled and set it the same as I did last night. When I get home I'll start turning the auto t-stat down to see if I can get longer burns and get that stack temp down to about 200 degrees. The 425 degree stove temp is a little higher than I need unless it gets real cold. Its nice to have a stove that burns the way it should. Now I should be able to start playing with it and trying to optimize the burn times.

Don

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jan. 22, 2007 11:08 am

WOW, those are big chunks of coal, is it anthracite and what size? You may want to switch to a smaller size to tone it down for control, that must burn very hot.

dirvine96

Post by dirvine96 » Mon. Jan. 22, 2007 11:34 am

Its antracite stove coal. Most of it is not as large as what your seeing. I put some big chunks on top to see how it would burn

Don

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 8:07 am

Hmm, bought an additional hotblast 1557m to burn up the amazing amount of crap wood around my little farm and make a little heat while I do it. Waiting for my Anthratube 260M coming in August and that is when I really have to come back to coal college. Meanwhile I have noticed a small 2" plug at the rear of the stove. It is a hole for a draft inducer 11 difl. Does this mean it stands a chance of becoming a decent anthracite burner or is it still junk.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 8:27 am

What are you planning to heat with an AA260?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 6:23 pm

The 'hot blast' units are better wood burners that coal burners.. you want zero air getting above the coal bed. ALL combustion air must come up through the grates from below, I think there is a spinner draft control on the ashpan door,, IF NOT, install one.

There are many threads and posts on the forum expressing frustration with burning a 'hot blast'... I think with the right technique, attention to what works, and a good chimney you can get by with one.. but once you burn coal in a stove designed to burn coal you will want to drop that 'hot blast' off a cliff or into the ocean.

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”