Hi, New to the Forum. Need Help Please!!

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Fri. Nov. 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Try a few bags of top quality bagged coal like Blashak. Stove size(lot larger) will not jam the grates.
How often are you shaking the grates? Sounds like a lot of unburned dropping down. I have exact same style grates in a furnace. Fact is once in a while you will get a jam from coal. I don't see it being the frame expanding or anything like that.
If you go to pea size you most likely will need to add more air under grates for enough burn.
Also with pea you can slow the burn way down .
I can remove my ash pan and actually see the culprit creating the jam on my handfired.
I take a poker and usually can knock it loose without disrupting the fire to the point of having to shut down.
Shaking with the short quick strokes as they said works the best

Black Nostrils

Post by Black Nostrils » Sat. Nov. 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks for all the help. I believe I may have fixed the problem. I took the grates and fire brick out and cleaned everything like you guys said. there was some build up on the backside of the fire brick which may have tightened my clearance up a bit. also in the pivots where the grates sit. used sand paper on them. Its been running for 3 hrs now and I can shake it!! I did lay a straight edge across grate and it does have some bow to it. about an 1/8 inch in center. Is this normal to have a little bit of bow in the grates? I will let you guys know if there is any more trouble. thanks again for all the help.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 1:01 am

1/8th aint bad ..... If you start seeing 1" or more, that's a sign to change 'em out. ;)

Glad to hear they're workin' for ya. Keep up with the ashpan daily, & you should get many years out of those grates. 8-)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 12:39 pm

The grates are cooled by the incoming air through the ashpan, up through the gaps in the grates.. As Smitty said, keep the ash pan emptied everyday, so the ashes don't get deep enough to restrict the air flow through the grates.. If the ashes get too deep, the grates will overheat and warp.

Cleaning out the firebox has a twofold reward: You now have freely moving grates, and you know how the grates and firebrick are assembled, and will be able to diagnose any possible future problems with the grates.

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”