Another Flu Temp Question

mplynn64

Post by mplynn64 » Wed. Nov. 18, 2009 10:34 am

What would an optimal reading be?? Of course I do believe it would be different for every stove..

I have a Fronco Belge stove.. and have 3 thermometers. 1 in the flu just before the baro damp. I on the top and 1 on the front... Usually they all reading pretty close together around 200 at 3.5 setting on the stove.. have not really had the stove up higher than that as the weather has not called or it.. adn the house is a cozie 78- 80 degrees.. :D

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 5:23 pm

On my Hitzer 30-95 I have been running about 150* surface magnet temp. before the baro. when just idling on warmer days. The flue temp goes up to about 200* when I turn up the thermostat for the evening. Obviously how hot a fire one is burning will make a difference. I am running about the same WC as you. :)

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 5:58 pm

grizzly2 wrote:On my Hitzer 30-95 I have been running about 150* surface magnet temp. before the baro. when just idling on warmer days. The flue temp goes up to about 200* when I turn up the thermostat for the evening. Obviously how hot a fire one is burning will make a difference. I am running about the same WC as you. :)
So if the temp of the flowing gases at the core is about twice the surface temp - that 350deg - 400deg internal temp might be just enough to pull out some extra heat with a reclaimer.
I just bought a reclaimer and want to blow its output into a duct that heats my bedroom two floor up from the basement. You can only use a reclaimer on moderate flu temperatures.
Was going to build a tin shroud around my 30-95 to capture/direct the radiant but the way the air wash blows out over the front,it would be difficult to get all the bends correct.

Looks so much simpler to try a reclaimer and take it from the stack and let the reclaimer provide the blowing too.

Ill know soon enough...

BTW - those stack temps indicate that the 30-95 is pretty efficient at *not* sending most of its heat up the flu. Cheap wood stoves like my Vogelzang produce stack surface temps of close to 500 deg consistently -- even damped down all the way. they are just so leaky. A raging wood stove would fry a reclaimer.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”