Does Anyone Out There Have a Ashley Model 30a???!!!

coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Nov. 14, 2009 1:54 am

I'm in line for a new furnace and was looking at one of these. seems to be a good choice but would love to hear from some people with experience first hand. had a hotblast 2500 and really didn't like it. not good for coal burning and I'm a coal miner so coal is definitely in my future. love this forum and hope for some good insite

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sat. Nov. 14, 2009 9:14 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you are considering on purchasing a furnace from U.S.Stove, it is my opinion that any of the 1600 series furnaces that U.S.Stove produces would be a winner, especially the 1600G model. The 1602 models have a draft air inlet in the feed door, which will help some with burning mainly wood or bituminous coal, and they have a different circulation blower fan set up, using two smaller 800cfm blowers. The 1600G or 1600M series, has one large 1400cfm blower. The difference between the 1600G and the 1600M is that the 1600G has a combustion blower fan, with thermostat control, and the 1600M is manually controlled with a draft spinner, but upgradable to the thermostat control. The grate system is much better, it has an insulated cabinet, the shape of the firebox firebrick, almost straight Vee is better for burning coal.

I'm sure that the 30A is a nice furnace and will perform quite well, but the wider Vee of the firebrick may make it a little challenging to fire anthracite effectively. For the extra couple of hundred dollars, there is just too many extra great benefits to the 1600 series models from U.S.Stove. The 1600G furnace is truly a well designed piece of equipment. You will be much happier with one of these.

Check out these posts. USSC Ashley 24AF Vs. Clayton 1600 Clayton Furnace Fired on Wood Slow Blue Dancing With Red Dressed Ladies in a Clayton Successfully Burning Anthracite Coal in a Clayton Furnace

I hope this helps. :idea: :) DOUG

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Nov. 14, 2009 3:01 pm

thanks a bunch for all the info!!! I was looking at a model 1602 and your definitely right, it is a better stove. it seems to me that the ashley is a step up from the hotblast but right below the 1600. I would rather have the clayton but im also looking at it from a price point. I would be burnning mostly bit coal because I get some pretty good stuff for nothing (comes with the job) whats the current price of hard coal?

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Sat. Nov. 14, 2009 5:17 pm

depends where ya live. if you live near or right in the heart of anthracite country you could spend about 130 a ton. I live between buffalo and rochester, NY, about 5 hours fron anthracite country. we pay about 230 to 250 a ton

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Nov. 14, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm right here in Cumberland MD so not too far from hard coal country so ill be looking into prices. Ive been told that it may burn too hot for some stoves but from reading on this forum Ive seen many people have awesome results. I have always burnt bit cause as Ive said its free but I know the people down wind would love for me to get the hard stuff so I want to try it. hope to have my new stove in by Tue.

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Sun. Nov. 15, 2009 6:35 am

doubt it will burn too hot. actually some bit coal I've read here cranks out 14,000 btu's. anthracite will produce around 12,500 :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”